96 GT Mileage and Prices

TnPaulMan

Feb 5, 2004
Ok, so I have noticed that everyone on the planet is selling their Mustangs for way more than KBB. I just went to AutoTrader and found a few 96 GTs for $5500 and less. I even found one for $3500 but it had 197K on the odo. What kind of mileage should I look for on a car that price range? How durable is the modular engine in comparison to the Windsor? Would I be better off going for a 94-95 with the Windsor with that kind of milage?

I suppose I am just stuck between getting a 5.0 or a 4.6 and I really need a good reason to go either way. I am facinated witht the technology involved with the 4.6 but I know that the 5.0s make more power cheaper. I know that I want to go with an SN-95 because I know that they are more set up to handle better than the Foxes with the 4 wheel disc, etc and I want to autocross it. But I can't afford anything more than say $6,000 out the door.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I would not start to tear into the car once I got it. It would have to be a daily driver for 2 years or so.

Thanks,

Paul

• Sponsors (?)

Sweet guys, I really appreciate it. I am still hung up on which way to go. How much more reliable has the 4.6 been compared to the 5.0 is basically the question I am asking.

Thanks,

Paul

I just bought a 96 GT convertible with 55,000 miles. Brand New Bullit Wheels, Toyo Proxies, convertible top and back glass. I payed 8,000. The guy had records for EVERYTHING from day 1.

my_vert.jpg

Black Cobra, I would say so but I have no real opinion. If the car is in great condition, I would get the intake, I think they are about 250 bucks, and replace it and try to sell it for 5 grand. That is what I would do.0

1992, I think I am gonna go that route too. A friend of mine has told me about CapitalOne's auto loans where you have to spend minimum of $7500 and up to however much you qualify for. Well I figure I can get a 98 GT for about $8000 with real low miles and I would be in fat city. I can reamoratize as many times as I would like and I know I would make a huge payment of $3500 when I sell my Isuzu Rodeo. That would make my payment under 100 bucks a month. Sweet deal! I am working part time in college and I am going to graduate in the spring so I figure I might as well enjoy my last year of school in a Mustang.

Paul

i am in college too. i pay $100 a week when not in school. Then when i am in school i will pay $75 a week. Not bad but i kept my othe mustang so i didn't have a trade in at all and only had a $500 down payment.

i paid 7500 for my 98GT but it had a cracked intake. Im still paying less than 200 on it. Stangs are expensive around here and to be honest we got a hell of a deal. Especially since we got my intake cheaply (hubby works for an autoparts store) and hubby did all the labor :)

Oh, the car has 122k miles on it now :) we've done brakes.. thats it.

I bought my 96gt 4 months ago for $7200 (including a 3yr warrenty) and 65k miles. It was a little pricy but you should see how clean it is. Im sure you can find the same thing will a few more miles for a lot less. And yeah the 94-95 are cheaper to mod, but you will have a real hard time finding one with low miles.

Thanks for all the replys folks. I just need to see how my job turns out over the next few weeks and make sure I get good use out of my car on my trip to San Diego and back (hauling the last of my things back to TN). Then there is next to nothing stoping me. Insurance will be more expensive than the car payment go figure. But for around $250 a month I will be in my Mustang. Then there is gas.

I am hoping to find a 98 with around 80,000mi for about $8,000 and there are two on AutoTrader right now so the way I figure it is that I will easily be able to get my car when the circumstances are right. Thanks for all the help again.

Paul

TnPaulMan said:
Thanks for all the replys folks. I just need to see how my job turns out over the next few weeks and make sure I get good use out of my car on my trip to San Diego and back (hauling the last of my things back to TN). Then there is next to nothing stoping me. Insurance will be more expensive than the car payment go figure. But for around $250 a month I will be in my Mustang. Then there is gas.

I am hoping to find a 98 with around 80,000mi for about $8,000 and there are two on AutoTrader right now so the way I figure it is that I will easily be able to get my car when the circumstances are right. Thanks for all the help again.

Paul
sounds good to me. for 8k you will get yourself a real nice car. As for insurence...yeah its a b1tch...im 17, first time i went to my insurance company to put my stang on the laughed at me....wouldnt do it unless i put it under my dads name too.

1125XX miles right now. of course, i take great care of my car body and motor. had synthetic fluids since basically day 1. oil changed regularly around 3000-5000 miles. these motors are stong and can easily reach 250K in my opinion with little problems.

Black_Cobra said:
I found a 96 gt w/ 110kmi for $3k. The car is good shape but I found out it has a coolant leak. It may have a cracked intake :notnice: . I might still buy it :shrug:

I have a feeling this is a good buy. I'm going to look at the car this weekend. If I buy it, I'll fix it and give it to my 16 year old nephew. He's done great in school. Am I a good uncle, or what?:D

Black_Cobra said:
I have a feeling this is a good buy. I'm going to look at the car this weekend. If I buy it, I'll fix it and give it to my 16 year old nephew. He's done great in school. Am I a good uncle, or what?:D
I do good in school....wanna buy me a cobra??:jester:
ur a good uncle