Engine An Engineering Question On Improved Torque

Buddha_DUT

Jun 7, 2013
So I know that everyone loves to watch your engine twist when you hit that gas. It just speaks raw power. But when I look at that I see potentially wasted torque. Is there a concrete reason why someone couldn't brace your engine and tranny so that they can't twist and flex so that all of that gets transferred through the driveshaft to the rear wheels?

• Sponsors (?)

As far as torque and/or power loss, it might benefit from solid mounts both fore and aft. Really, the only questions are if your car is up to the task of handling the added stresses of installing solid mounts, and if you and your passengers can tolerate the extra vibrations while riding in it. Engineering wise, that has to be the 2 main reasons for the isolated mounts. In all honesty, you probably aren't missing too much as long as everything is up to snuff. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the isolated mounts really don't have that much give. They do, of course, have some give - it is mainly to absorb engine vibrations at idle so you can sit in a relatively "quiet" and motionless vehicle at a stop light. Not everyone wants to sit in a car with a lopey cam rattling their dentures. When under load, they don't move a whole lot.

:thinking:

I remember, back in the day, I had a broken motor mount in my II. The engine would rise VERY visibly when "testing" the mount. Once it was replaced, the engine only moved slightly under "test" conditions.

IMO, trust the original engineers for stuff like that unless it's a full on race application. Besides, shaker hoods wouldn't be so cool if the engine was solidly mounted! :D

I appreciate the input. Was test firing the engine for mine on the bench and had a much deeper thought than I should have. Lol. Just looked at it and thought "hmm. That's wasted torque!" Highdeas huh?
:ack::cookie:

It is wasted torque you're right, but it's only over the course of a couple of inches. If it kept twisting (rotating) it would definitely slow you down. :) Otherwise it's just absorbing some of the shock you'd otherwise throw into your driveshaft, rear, and chassis. Unless the mounts are really worn - I know my '95 sits almost dead still with stock mounts while the motor in the II likes to jump around. You could probably stiffen things up a bit (urethane mounts) without going fully solid.