Annoying "squeaky" sound in the rear

whyask

Apr 4, 2005
Sacramento
Every time I drive and my tires go over a bump I can hear what sounds like "sqeaking" high pitch noise from my right rear. Should I just spray that whole area with some WD-40 ..????

• Sponsors (?)

I used WD-40 but I'm sure any kind of spray lube will do if this is the same problem. I mostly noticed the squeaking as I went over speed bumps. I'm sure the WD-40 will wash out after a while But it just takes a couple of seconds to reapply it if the squeak comes back. It's been two months now and so far no squeak. Even after driving in the rain and snow.

I'm experiencing sqeaky mirriors (both). Iy sould like the plastic components of each mirror are rubbing. I notice it when I close the doors or go over a bump. Any suggestions?

I hear a squeak from back there when I have the top down. Not sure if it is coming from inside or outside the car. It may be the top itself squeaking, since I don't hear it when the top is up.

I guess it can't hurt to try a little lube down there and seeing what happens.

I'm experiencing sqeaky mirriors (both). Iy sould like the plastic components of each mirror are rubbing. I notice it when I close the doors or go over a bump. Any suggestions?

Press a finger against the black plastic pieces above the mirrors, both on the inside and outside, that are kind of shaped like triangles. If they squeak, that's likely the source of the problem. Use WD-40 or silicone spray. Apply the lubricant, using the thin plastic tube that is supplied with the can. Get the tube in the gaps behind the plastic pieces. Press again. If it still squeaks, spray some more. Eventually, you should have silence when you press against the plastic. You will probably need to re-apply the lubricant from time to time.

wd-40 = water displacement 40 %....find a good silicone...rubber brushings could be dried out
For the OP's original post, it seems to me the sqeak could be rear suspension. I had such a noise in one previous rear sway bar configuration. Sprayed WD40 on one bushing at a time to isolate it, and it turned out to be the right rear end "link" bushing vs. the bar. Next time I made a change I lubricated inside the bushings with silicone grease, the kind Steeda supplied with their front sway bar and billet brackets. Nary a squeak since.

Wouldn't white lithium grease be better than wd-40 or silicone?

A silicon spray is just much easier to apply than any grease. Even if you have to do it once or twice a year, it's not much of a pain. On the other hand, if you have the car up and apart, say while you're doing a spring swap, applying a high quality grease to anything than might squeak wouldn't be a bad idea.
Dan