Any sn95's running 275/40-17 on 10.5 cobra r's on the Rear

ep87

May 19, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Hi looking for people who are running 275/40-17 on 10.5x17 cobra R's on the back of there sn95's. Any rubbing problems, is your car lowered and if so how much.?

I ordered some last week and I'm starting to second guess myself.

thanks in advance. Richard

• Sponsors (?)

03ghoststang said:
it's more like 295 and up for those rims buddy and most people dont have issues with the clearance

The tire manufacturer suggests a rim any were from 9 to 11 inches for that tire.
and the over all width of the tire is 10.9 inches, so may be it might seam a little small for the rim its really right in the middle of the range. I plan on running a 245/45-17 on the front on a eight inch rim. I''m just trying to get that wide look in the back with out any clearance problems.

Black Stang 97 said:
im running 275/40/17, i dont know how wide my wheel is, anyone care to guess?? my wheel is still popping a little out from the tire, so if i rub a curb, the wheel will get 1st....

View attachment 485734

View attachment 485736

the tires are khumo ecsta supra's.... i know some company's run smaller tires with the same measurements....

Nice car. after seeing yours I can"t wait to get my tires and wheels on.

Thanks

ep87 said:
Hi looking for people who are running 275/40-17 on 10.5x17 cobra R's on the back of there sn95's. Any rubbing problems, is your car lowered and if so how much.?

I ordered some last week and I'm starting to second guess myself.

thanks in advance. Richard

What year is your car. On my '98 GT my 275/40s just barely clear on my Bassani exhaust. Slapping on a 10.5" wheel would require some exhaust bending. The 99+ guys don't seem to have this problem.

BTW, I don't know why you would buy a 10.5" wheel and only put a 275/40 on it. Why not 285 or 315s?

I run 315/35/17's on my 10.5's. They are the PERFECT size. I had to flip the quad shocks to clear the F1's (over 12" wide) .... but that only takes 5 minutes. I have a couple crappy pics in my sig .....

EDIT: 98stangv8 ..... be sure to join up on that site in my sig.!!! It's a NC based board & there's alot of cool Stangers there.

Originally I had planned on getting the 315/35-17 for the 17x10.5's but I've heard a lot of people say they will fit with no problems and a lot that say they rub.
I agree the the 275's might be on the small size for the 10.5 wheel, but I want to make sure I have no clearance problems, I only ordered the wheels, and will be picking up the tires locally. I'm now concidering 285/40-17 even though it's slighty taller then the 275 or 315's

Thanks for all your input.

ep87 said:
Originally I had planned on getting the 315/35-17 for the 17x10.5's but I've heard a lot of people say they will fit with no problems and a lot that say they rub.
I agree the the 275's might be on the small size for the 10.5 wheel, but I want to make sure I have no clearance problems, I only ordered the wheels, and will be picking up the tires locally. I'm now concidering 285/40-17 even though it's slighty taller then the 275 or 315's

Thanks for all your input.

It all depends on the tire BRAND. The F1's I have are the widest 315's you can get. (I know that sounds weird ... let me explain). Between different brands, one 315 may be wider or narrower than a 315 of another brand. With these, all I had to do is flip the quad shocks. When I would go through a sharp turn really fast, it would rub slightly (hardly noticable). A rubber mallet and 5 minutes fixed that problem. Just rolled the inner fender up about 1" at the top/middle section. No rubbing AT ALL. Good luck.

get a nitto 315 tire. they are the smaller sized tire.

a 315 nitto is barely larger then a 285 bfg tire. there is a chart somewhere online with multiple tire measurements as comparison. thats where i got that from, ill see if i can find it. i know it was over on svtperformance.

also, sumitomo tires suck, i had them. i said, well wtf they are cheap and some people have good luck. they are decent all around, except in the rain. if you drive in the rain alot, dont get them. my car hydroplaned so badly on the freeway with those tires :notnice:

not worth the savings.

281pony said:
some people have good luck. they are decent all around, except in the rain. if you drive in the rain alot, dont get them. my car hydroplaned so badly on the freeway with those tires :notnice:

not worth the savings.

Hmm thats weird, this is my second set and I have driven in very heavy rain and thought they where pretty good, especially for the size.

If you are looking for a 315 drag radial get nittos or BFG. If you want an all around tire, imo the sumis are good, especially for the $$ they cant be beat.

If you want traction period, don't get Sumitomo. By far the WORST in the traction aspect. The reason I run F1's is because they have a long lasting tread life, get good traction on wet or dry surfaces, and the looks of them. They're a little bit expensive, but well worth it IMO.

BFG's & Nitto Triple Nickle's are also good tires if you want a good DR.

I may be kinda beating a dead horse here....

I have 17"x9" wheels, and I'm running 275/40/17s all the way around. I'm getting more into circle track stuff, and they're awesome! (Not comp tires, but I'd highly recommend these BF Goodrich g-Force Sports for daily driving. Awesome.) I have Eibach Sportline lowering springs and a caster/camber kit as well.

However, if you're going to run 10.5" wheels - get 315s!! Or at least, definitely DON'T get 275s. Way skinny...besides, the point of getting those wheels is to run a bigger tire. I have three different friends that run 315s on 10.5" wheels (granted, 2 are F-body) and they love them. None of them complain about their contact patch a bit. ;)

Best of luck to ya!

Attachments

• 467714918_l.jpg
    467714918_l.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5,435