Anyone fit 2 child seats in the back?

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
So, my plan is to let the kids take rides with me this year, especially since we don't plan any boardwalk trips (somewhere we go often) and Six flags Great adventure (which we live very close to) could likely be a wash too.
It's important for our sanity to keep these two busy and the odds are i'll never get out of the house without the younger one since he already puts his bike helmet on and sits in the car when we aren't even going anywhere.

I have a 3 year old son (33lbs)and a soon to be 5 year old daughter (47lbs)
So likely a booster and a real car seat.

Anyone run 2 of them at the same time?
Safety is more important than price.
I've read there are narrow seats, do they really give enough extra room?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

So, my plan is to let the kids take rides with me this year, especially since we don't plan any boardwalk trips (somewhere we go often) and Six flags Great adventure (which we live very close to) could likely be a wash too.
It's important for our sanity to keep these two busy and the odds are i'll never get out of the house without the younger one since he already puts his bike helmet on and sits in the car when we aren't even going anywhere.

I have a 3 year old son (33lbs)and a soon to be 5 year old daughter (47lbs)
So likely a booster and a real car seat.

Anyone run 2 of them at the same time?
Safety is more important than price.
I've read there are narrow seats, do they really give enough extra room?
The little Japanese Kid that I lug around is close to 60 lbs. His car seat adds probably another 20. I bolt the little bastard in, and so far, he hasn’t complained. I could probably get another one back there, but for me, one makes more than enough noise.

It's a tight squeeze, but doable. Did it in the 90s in both a Fox and my II. Maybe I was luckier than Mike, I usually had a passenger who helped keep the kids under control. :shrug:

Done it, no problem. I don’t love the retention on 30 year old seat belts, being that there are no hooks to tether the seat to, that’s all you have for safety. I believe @Mustang5L5 had the pretty genius idea to add a rear strut tower brace to tether the seat to.

• Agree
Thanks guys,
That shock tower brace does sound like a good idea.

My kids are pretty good in the car about 90% of the time, i'm guessing if they get out of line, I can fix that with the throttle...

• Hell Yeah!
After some searches, lmr has pics of one where someone mounted D ring hooks to one, I'd guess for car seats.

Attachments

• blob.jpeg
    blob.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 185
You and I really don’t live to far from each other judging by your description . I had the car out in seaside today
Probably been 20 years since I drove this car to seaside (but when I did it was weekly).
Somewhere between 6-8 years of my life lost in that place, either driving like an A-hole or drinking like one, either way I feel lucky to have survived it in one piece.
The jersey shore show sure as hell didn't help how I feel about it either.

We live in Jackson about 20 miles west of Seaside and about 3 miles for Great Adventure.

We mostly go to point pleasant now it's a little more family friendly (although the parking is horriffic, i would not take your car there on a nice summer night).
Now and then we will make a seaside trip, but i no longer weekly drive 100 on the bridge.

Probably been 20 years since I drove this car to seaside (but when I did it was weekly).
Somewhere between 6-8 years of my life lost in that place, either driving like an A-hole or drinking like one, either way I feel lucky to have survived it in one piece.
The jersey shore show sure as hell didn't help how I feel about it either.

We live in Jackson about 20 miles west of Seaside and about 3 miles for Great Adventure.

We mostly go to point pleasant now it's a little more family friendly (although the parking is horriffic, i would not take your car there on a nice summer night).
Now and then we will make a seaside trip, but i no longer weekly drive 100 on the bridge.
I know the deal i have been going down the shore my whole life. Im in the howell area now. I grew up in staten island but im in Jersey since 2017.

Ive only been making such frequent shore cruises because of how empty the place is with all the covid stuff there is no nonsense to worry about.

Last edited:
After some searches, lmr has pics of one where someone mounted D ring hooks to one, I'd guess for car seats.

That’s how I did mine.
F4288F8B-7C9B-455D-8EB0-4392E0F1C453.jpeg

There's another cheaper option for a anchor point as well. It mounts into the hatch floor where the cargo net tether point typically attaches. (pay attention to the seller's name)

Mike am right to think that you hook the top strap to that ring around some kind of T post?

My plan was to buy that brace, i'm just trying to consolidate shipping on other things I need at LMR.
I kinda liked what that guy did with the D ring.

Last edited:
That’s how I did mine.
F4288F8B-7C9B-455D-8EB0-4392E0F1C453.jpeg

There's another cheaper option for a anchor point as well. It mounts into the hatch floor where the cargo net tether point typically attaches. (pay attention to the seller's name)

He has the same name as you, WTF????