Auto Trans w/ Hi-po Camshaft

66ford289

Apr 10, 2005
I am trying to get my mustang back on the road. All I want to do is get it driving. Right now I have the C-4 transmission sitting in the garage with a stock converter. When I rebuilt my engine I put in a high performance camshaft thats suppose to be good in the 2000-5500 range. Could I use the stock converter? I am not looking to have it perform at it's best just to drive it. If I did would I harm anything?

Also I am running the 2bbl and stock manifolds with this setup, whats the worst that can happen when I run this setup with a camshaft like this and compression of about 10:1 besides loss in power.
(Camshaft is Crane 278H, 222 duration @.050 and .498 inches of lift for both valves)

• Sponsors (?)

No, it wont harm anything, but if the cam is made for the 2000 up range, u wont get the best performance at all. you car will fall on its face until u get into the 2000rpm range. i understand your wanting to get the car going, but now is the time to get the higher stall converter while the tranny is out. a new converter is not really that expensive either. the stock one has a very low stall. blah!

If you are running plain street tires, IMO stock tc will be great. Tune it right and it should boil the tires. Stock intake will severely limit the gain of the cam. It should run better, but full potential of the cam change will not be realized. I'd wait 'til funds are good enough for an intake and carb. A performer and 1850 holley can be had quite cheap if you shop used parts.

I have an unused TCI converter rated for 2400-2600 in a C4. PM me if you are interested, I sell it brand new for a lot less than Summitt (where I bought it from before I switched to an AOD).

84convertablegt said:
You wont be sorry :D
2400-2600 is about right for a healthy small block, it should work great with the 278H cam (once you get a matching intake/head combo), I went with a 2800 for my AOD after a buddy put a 3400 in his LS1 and I drove it.