Progress Thread Barn Find - Twilight Blue 1991 GT 5spd

I would agree with Stanglx or possibly call that mustang salvage yard in Georgia and ask if they can cut a piece out of a wreck, there is very little structural integrity there, it could be cut out and another butt welded fairly cheap.
I'll forget about that $15 bucks you owe me for the zip ties, ratchet straps and wood you used since the car had hidden damage.
I tried the floor jack and block of wood but the lower support is bent upwards and towards the front of the car. It was worth a shot so thanks to you and Stanglx for the suggestion. I'll start looking around for a support locally. There used to be some pretty decent salvage yards over by Orlando Speedway. If that doesn't pan out, I'll take a look at that one is Georgia (I think it was MPS salvage) and karthief , I'm sure you will make up that $15 when I start pestering you for parts. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Agreed. Carpet cleaner with hot water. Then windex, (best thing I've used on upholstery, leaves no residue). That, a 25# box of rags, 12 pack (in my case 30) & an afternoon. Keep scrubbing until they come clean. As far as the core support, do yourself a favor & buy a mig welder. You will use it more than you think. Skip the flux core stuff. You can get a mig on Amazon for $150. Grab an 80 cu. ft. bottle of C-25 & .023-.035 wire. Some scrap steel & another afternoon, I think you'd be surprised at your progress. Like was said, pretty much not a structural part. I will say I'd look for a used Hobart or Lincoln 140. Those older transformer type welders have better arc stability at the high & low limits of the machine than the newer inverter boxes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the upholstery although I've never heard of using Windex on it, what the hell it can't hurt to try. I plan on pulling everything out this weekend and will give them a good scrubbing. I figure I can do that and move the engine off the hoist onto the engine stand this weekend and it will be a good weekend. I need to give the engine a once over and make sure things are buttoned up tight. The upper intake manifold is off and I need to tighten up the oil pan but other than that, it looks really good.

I'm looking at MIG welders now. I figure if I can find one for a decent price, I'll give it a shot. I definitely will get some scrap steel to practice on before I even think about doing it on the car. I'm totally green on this so it will be an experience that's for sure.

Don't let him lowball you on that Hatch Prop 9000. Those things are rare. :O_o:
Haha, Yeah it's a limited edition. I think there's a certificate of authenticity somewhere in the glove box. :D But..... It was "IN" the car when I paid for it sooo, possession is 9/10 of the law.

He did hook me me up with a couple of ratchet straps/pieces of wood to help hold the engine in place in the bed of the truck. All I had was 2" thick straps for securing the car to the trailer. The zip-ties were used to bind the excess straps once she was on the trailer. I told him I'm sure I'll make it up to him once I get my laundry list of parts together. I foresee a few more trips to Polk county in my future. :cool:

I spent a good part of the afternoon in the garage but damn this FL heat can wipe you out. I did get the hatch support struts installed so no more custom broomstick support now. I also started disassembling the interior. My plan is to take everything out and either repair, repaint or replace the pieces. I'm ordering the duel cup holder center console and arm rest from LMR to replace mine with the broken ashtray. I got the seats out and will spend some time cleaning them tomorrow. I had hope that I could get away with a good cleaning of the carpet but so much for that, a previous owner cut out the carpet in the passenger foot well for some reason. No worries thought, I had budgeted for new carpet anyway.

Seats are out. Got to love the things you find when you start pulling stuff out like this. I found 2 cassette tapes (Spanish music), a couple of screwdrivers, channel locks, kid toy parts in the back, and an assortment of loose change. :D
LsQi80j.jpg

So much for cleaning and re-using the carpet. :p
Oewi7gr.jpg

Now out to a few questions, First there is pitting on the trim pieces all around the exterior. Can this be sanded down and smoothed out or am I better off looking for new trim/ground effects.
FXrivjP.jpg

Second question, Does anyone know of an online source for a new dash.? Mine is cracked in several places. I will be heading to a few salvage yards later next week but figured it was worth asking if anyone knew of a reproduction one.
9MXeFWF.jpg

No one repop's the dash yet. Ebay, face book or salvage yard. Easier to just replace the exterior trim. It's all available & reasonable.

My 89 has the same pitting trim where the paint has flaked off. I am going to try and refinish the original pieces on my car. Some are in better shape than others. I picked up some Evercoat polyester flexible glazing putty to fill in the rough spots but I have not tried it yet.

Thanks @LX1993 and @TIGGER for the replies. As far as the dashboard goes, it's off to the salvage yard for starters (unless karthief has one hidden in his pile-o-parts LOL ). I may try to play with the trim pieces and see if I can clean them up but if not, I'll get new ones. Paint./Body work is a long way off for now. Right now the plan is to to get it running first so I can move it in and out the garage under its own power.

You can get parts for the dash, but not the entire thing just yet. You still need the core frame material of the dash used. You can clean it up, scuff it up and paint it.

From there you can track down the HVAC registers, the speaker grills and the dash pad.

I've found SEM Landeau black to be a very good color for restoring the black trim pieces in the interior

No one repop's the dash yet. Ebay, face book or salvage yard. Easier to just replace the exterior trim. It's all available & reasonable.

This is going to depend a little bit. I don't know what the quality of the reproduction pieces are, but used it's a bit of a crap shoot on whether or not you will get something in decent shape. Those bumper extensions and the GT ground effects in general have often been ravaged by weather and time as far as used pieces are concerned.

Looking further at the pictures, the damage is also on the bumper cover itself, so that part would need to be repaired or the bumper cover replaced. The last time I bought a YCC reproduction for my Mustang project was 10 years ago, so I don't know what the cost (or availability) of those are anymore. The ones from LMR were pricey and again availability of a lot of these things are questionable as well as the quality.

To the OP - I think those are absolutely repairable. I probably would put some plastic filler in and THEN sand it down or you may take off too much material and change the shape too much.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users