blue injectors and stock MAF?

85cleangtvert

May 19, 2005
i recently got a 91 gt that i am trying to get all the bugs out of. it is mostly stock. The MAF is stock. today I noticed it has blue injectors. if im not mistaken, those are 24 lb, correct? what maf should i get to match up to the injectors? the car runs good but i cant really step on it because it is too rich and doesnt really go anywhere. what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

correct, blue tops are 24lb'rs. best bet is to go j/y scavenging and find a 93 cobra and rob the maf, or get an aftermarket maf for 24lb'rs. either or will work. have to get a tune tho if you use the stock A9L or A9P computer. if you could find a puter from a 93 cobra as well with the maf you'd be set:nice:

i have a stock computer and its an automatic. how do i get a tune? can i put change the chip myself like in my turbo regal or do i have to take it somewhere? if i just add a MAF with the correct calibration will that help it run better or will it does it need the computer / tune just as bad as it needs the MAF ? im already looking for the MAF anyone got good suggestions on where to get the best price on stuff?

ditto, 19lbrs are a dime a dozen in the JY. grab a set of those and be done with it. either save the blue tops for later or sell them in the classifieds. they always go fast.

"93 Cobra MAF's weren't tuned for 24's...the computer was. That's the correct way to compensate for injectors. MAF sample tube sizing is more of a "trickery" way of calibrating for 24's.

But i'd swap some 19's in. Easier to do and will support up to 300HP. Then either sell the 24's or save then

i found a guy out here who had a MAF calibrated for 24 # injectors so I picked that up for 60. I put it on and it works and has made a difference but i think i still need to do something with the computer. is this correct? what do i need to do? im just gonna leave the 24 #ers and the new MAF ... what do i have to do now, change the computer or can i get a chip? or do i have to bring it somewhere to get tuned?

Without knowing what the MAF is truely calibrated for, it's hard to say.

The proper way to do is to leave the MAF stock (or upgrade to a larger MAF) and calibrate the compouter with a chip.

MAF's are not sizes to injectors. They just have a specific samply tube to main bore ratio that the computer does a calculation based on . Changing sample tube sizes "tricks" the computer into doing a different calculation. As you've found out..sometimes it leads to drivability probs.

Personally, if it's near stock. I'd buy some 19's if you are trying to work out the bugs. The 24's are gonna do anything but introduce potential probs at this stage. There is no HP to be gained by leaving them in. I've seen more problems caused by people running larger injectors unnecessarily.

i found a guy out here who had a MAF calibrated for 24 # injectors so I picked that up for 60. I put it on and it works and has made a difference but i think i still need to do something with the computer. is this correct? what do i need to do? im just gonna leave the 24 #ers and the new MAF ... what do i have to do now, change the computer or can i get a chip? or do i have to bring it somewhere to get tuned?
As long as the MAF was calibrated for 24's AND your ecu, then you don't need to do anything with the ecu.

What brand of meter did you get?
What size?

jason

wow it would been alot simpler getting a set of orange tops off of any junkyard 302 and switching them. car would run right and not waste gas. u have no need for the 24s till ur motor needs more fuel and ur stock motor isnt going to make 300hp. so its wasting gas, and in my opinion even with a tuned ecu and correct maf ur still going to be too rich cus the motor cant flow good enough to need it. its youre car but i think ur being silly. pull the upper intake takes like 10 mins tops and another 10 to change the injectors. i bet u admired the new maf with curiousity after u bout if for almost 5 mins plus the time u took to put it in u could switched injectors!
do it the right way and set aside the injectors cus they are pricey, clen em up, set aside the maf u bought and drive it stock till u get heads or mods that have u making more than 300hp. till 300hp your too rich and wont run right with blue tops

Im sure they are #24's but the #36's are also blue, but a dark blue. THe #24's are a light blue.

#36's

Picture019-1.jpg