Engine Blue Print head swap

Just a quick update, still waiting on BBK, they say the 20th. I've ordered the nicest timing set in any of my engines....a Rollmaster 10030, Billet gears, nitrided, w 9 keyways, and the chain is the best made on the planet, a German IWIN. It also has double torrington bearings for the upper gear. $146

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Headers came 2 days ago. Car is apart. Heads had to go back to machine shop as they built them for studs/guideplates, not enough valve stem above retainer for pedestal mount to work.....In hind sight this is a good thing as it'll make me slow down and take time to clean engine comp and do other stuff.....If the heads were ready I'd have to put it back together and skip that detail crap.

Last edited:
The machine shop putting stud/guideplate valves into my pedestal mount heads has been a blessing. It has forced me to slow down. In the delay I've cleaned the engine comp and done a wiring tuck. Now I'm going the paint store and get some basecoat and repaint the engine comp. Cover up all that grey primer. It will be a lot nicer looking for the delay. Going to paint all the raw alum parts w alum color paint. Put a fresh coat of Ford blue on the engine. Put fresh semi gloss black on the black stuff.

There is no after yet, here's a in progress pic. Just cam and new timing set installed. It's also getting an alum rad and 134a AC swap.
DSCF3826.JPG

Todays trick was painting the engine comp. Really like my new 3M accuspray.

Attachments

• DSCF3830.JPG
    DSCF3830.JPG
    491.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF3831.JPG
    DSCF3831.JPG
    514.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF3832.JPG
    DSCF3832.JPG
    517.1 KB · Views: 119
Looked at it closely w a good flashlight. Terrible job but still much, much better than it was....I hadn't painted anything in a long time and forgot to take a break between coats so its full of runs. The surface is smooth the runs are in the metalflake. Next to finish the wiring tuck and reassemble it, sucks the weather is going to crap, as in cold, for the foreseeable future. I also plan to eliminate the salt and pepper shakers w crimped and heat shrink connections. And while doing this diagnose whats wrong w my Megasquirt bank 2 wiring. So that way hopefully the new version of the engine will run w it. I understand the 19 lb injectors will only support about 310 HP and w the MS it will be easy to tell if they are too small.

Just got off the phone w my machinist, the reason its taking so long to get my valves swapped....it he couldn't find reasonably priced pedestal valves in 2.02 had to get $18.95 ea Ferrea's, for a total of about $300. They are there and should be back to me tomm!

Last edited:
Got the heads back Tues eve, and started putting it back together Wend., As of today I just have upper intake, wiring tuck finish, dist and maf and fluids to install should run tomm. Valves adjusted perfect at 1/2 turn preload w the stock push rods. I slightly enlarged the intake valve reliefs in the pistons about 2mm. with a square edged carbide by hand, not pretty but effective.

It started and ran 1st time this morning. Sounded good revs much faster than it used to...Gotta get the alt. working now....
Alt is fixed green fusible link wasn't connected.....
Car drives great but wont idle.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just a couple pics to prove its back together....runs good, have not driven hard yet....no idea how much faster it feels.
Oh BTW those ppl. who think the BBK equal length headers are hard to work with are crazy. They went on easy, plug access is fine, and the wires work just great w/o need of heat sleeves or anything...

Attachments

• DSCF3836.JPG
    DSCF3836.JPG
    630.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF3837.JPG
    DSCF3837.JPG
    560 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Got into the throttle for the 1st time today....LARGE improvement! Still have not floored it, but got into the throttle pretty good in 2nd gear ran it up to 5K and car scoots ! Very happy!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Just to update the BBK MAF was crap, and am still running 19lbers, and keeping my foot out of it. Long term I plan to get a Quarterhorse to solve this issue. Thinking hard of becoming a QH tuner/dealer.

Just got back from the junkyard with a 06 6G alternator, elec fan setup, and 03 steering rack. Now to install this stuff.