bodywork question..

siege

Feb 23, 2003
Peoria, AZ
Well here's the damage. This was actually done by the previous owner, I don't know what the hell its from. Basically I just want to know how I could fix this - don't really have the money to have a shop do it, and I'd like to learn some bodywork skills. would it be possible to fix this without basically just cutting it out and welding in a piece from another car or something? how would you do it? as you can see the pinch weld is also jacked up. here it is....

thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

My car has that but minor compared to that from the combination of turning, too much gas going over a curb and missing the decline part at just the wrong angle. So the curb happened to hit that spot on my car and ding it. I would say you could try a BFH and bondo but that is the crap way anyway and in your case I think You are going to replace some steel other wise you are going to use a lot of bondo that will not last. Man I wonder what the hell he did to do that? Others will maybe tell you otherwise but you would be far better of to replace the steel a donor car with that piece would be ideal. Many of those cars likely are rusty there or repaired already. No not all but I have seen many cars rough in that area. I hope it works out for you. There is that seam there too you can see in the picture runs vertical about half inch runs to the back it joins the to the . That will be tricky to make look pretty I have seen angle used there for strength it would also help hide some of the stuff that you are not able to match perfect. For that strip along the bottom new steel would be best and easy enough.

well you have two options there. 1 you could just cut the door sill out and put a new one in. Youll need to be able to weld to do that properly however. Your second option is is to beat/pull it out. I havnt had my mustang very long so Im not positive of how it rolls under these cars, but if it rolls under and is open on the backside under the car a good body guy can use a body hammer and dolly to shape it back out no problem. Now if you dont mind spending a little money for a good tool you can always go and buy one of these http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...DUCT&iMainCat=504&iSubCat=512&iProductID=1609 and get the puller and get it out yourself. This way theres no drilling and very little body filler if any.

well unfortunately I don't have access to a welder and that tool is a bit expensive for my blood. I know the basics of the drilling/pulling method (basically that you drill a hole, thread something in there and pull it out), how is it done exactly? is there any special tool I need for that?

I wish I knew what this guy did to it..frankly in person it almost looks like someone just took a friggin sledge hammer to it.

the tool you need to pull it the old fashioned way is a slide type dent puller. Its a long rod about 13" or so long with diamond shaped handle on one end and a screw on the other. It has a weighted slide on it that supplies the force you need to pull the dent. You can buy one at Advance Auto for under $20 I thnk.

yeah the whole lack of welder thing sucks. I'd like to get one but I don't have the $150 to invest in a cheap one. I think I'll try to find the slide type dent puller once I get paid later this week.

any ideas on how to straighten that pinch weld out? I'm thinkin some big vice grips and a hammer - any other ways? I know it'll never end up perfect, but I'd like to get it relatively nice

thanks guys