brake conversion

vobraman

Dec 2, 2003
I badly need to do a disc conversion on the front. Have a 67 Coupe with manual brakes. I have been looking at stainles steel kit. Do I have to stay with manual or can I switch to power ? Is there a big advantage with power over manual ? Do I have to change my current brake pedal? The car is set up for street and will be running in the 11's. I will post some pics next week.

Any help is welcome
thanks
brian

• Sponsors (?)

vobraman said:
I badly need to do a disc conversion on the front. Have a 67 Coupe with manual brakes. I have been looking at stainles steel kit. Do I have to stay with manual or can I switch to power ? Is there a big advantage with power over manual ? Do I have to change my current brake pedal? The car is set up for street and will be running in the 11's. I will post some pics next week.

Any help is welcome
thanks
brian

Yes you can switch to power if you want too you just need to add a power booster and order the correct parts for it, IIRC the push rod changes on power but the pedal bracket itself stays the same...I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong. However, are you sure you want to switch to power? If you are running an 11 sec car will you have enough vacuum to support power brakes?

I run SSBC manual discs in the front and rear of my 65 and the stopping power is awesome. And I have an extra heavy cleveland to make stopping more fun.

dodgestang said:
Yes you can switch to power if you want too you just need to add a power booster and order the correct parts for it, IIRC the push rod changes on power but the pedal bracket itself stays the same...I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong. However, are you sure you want to switch to power? If you are running an 11 sec car will you have enough vacuum to support power brakes?

I run SSBC manual discs in the front and rear of my 65 and the stopping power is awesome. And I have an extra heavy cleveland to make stopping more fun.

if i can run with manual then thats is what I want. Do not want to spend more $ than needed

Well then you have your answer...now try this on for size...have you looked at Baer? They make some very nice braking kits are have a higher performance reputation than the SSBC....I chose the SSBC for my ride becuase I had I high familiarity with their product and knew just how easy it was to install the disc brakes (only a few hours) and at the time I knew nothing about the Baer products...if I had it to do over again, I would prob by the Baers.....they do cost a little more though.

dodgestang said:
Well then you have your answer...now try this on for size...have you looked at Baer? They make some very nice braking kits are have a higher performance reputation than the SSBC....I chose the SSBC for my ride becuase I had I high familiarity with their product and knew just how easy it was to install the disc brakes (only a few hours) and at the time I knew nothing about the Baer products...if I had it to do over again, I would prob by the Baers.....they do cost a little more though.

I will check there web site and see what they have to offer.
thanks

dodgestang said:

Although the Baer brakes look awesome, there is some arguements out there with regard to Baer and other cross drilled systems.

Cross drilling was a practice originating in race cars designed to reduce the weight of the rotor while the cooling properties are minimal if any.

The holes have a tendancy to spider crack under heat strain and can reduce the overall life of the rotor by 50%...

Slotting on the other hand is more beneficial and functional in the reduction of gas build up and brake fade. This set-up is better for longevity and performance on a street driven ride...