Progress Thread Budget 89 GT

Went to the first car meet if the year today. Car didn’t blow up or break so I guess that’s good
2CC29B2B-86D3-4BF7-978E-470E4F838CE2.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

just out of curiosity turbo guys, what heads are you running. it looks like most of the aluminum after market stuff has pretty small combustion chambers. looks like the AFR 160's and 170s are like 55-58cc chambers..... not sure if thats gonna be a little to tight or not.

First, I absolutely love the look of that car. Stunning! Very clean! Very aggressive! The quintessential foxbody!

I'm not sure what I can add. That should be pretty healthy. I'm not sure how comparable my combos are, but they are both AFR205 58cc heads, but with custom pistons, I got to set my Compression ratio. Went 8.5:1 in one car, and 9.6:1 in the other. The 8.5 engine is much more forgiving of the tune. The higher compression engine does not like much load under about 1700 rpm, seemingly regardless of tune, but I'll try taking some timing out when I have more time to play with it. So, if you're choosing pistons and cylinder heads, my preference is lower compression. With lower compression, you can also run more boost and make more power before hitting detonation.

Last edited:
yeah i dont plan on changing the rotating assembly yet.... ill wait till something bad happens.

@a91what let me know what they say about them. ive seen some cheap heads to some work around here. like the ProComp heads. my only fear is the valve terrain but parts are getting cheaper and cheaper on the knock off stuff. they look like good heads i was eye balling them when you posted pictures of them.

It can't be that bad. My best friend blew up his 95 GT motor once and bought a shortblock from a JY for $50 with a beat up piston. He took a dremel to it to smooth out the damage. Through my old twin-turbo kit over it, smashed my C5 Corvette (at the time) on what we later found out was only 7 functioning cylinders. We didn't really expect it to work, but he drove it that way for 2 years making 420 rwhp, before he finally sold it. So, if you get the tool and do it right, I think it'll work out just fine. Check out the Isky notching tool.

yeah i dont plan on changing the rotating assembly yet.... ill wait till something bad happens.

@a91what let me know what they say about them. ive seen some cheap heads to some work around here. like the ProComp heads. my only fear is the valve terrain but parts are getting cheaper and cheaper on the knock off stuff. they look like good heads i was eye balling them when you posted pictures of them.
Its......" valve train"