Cam only swap help

Jenrik98

Apr 6, 2021
St louis, MO
Im thinking of changing my cams in my 98 gt 4.6, i. Going with a rattler cam and no need to change springs or anything else, so was going to buy the tool to hold thw chain and sprocket, my question is is it as simple as pulling valve covers wedging the retaining tool in and unbolting old cams setting new one in and bolting back down? Or do you have to be at top dead center and all that? Ive only changed cams in sbc before so dont know much about these ford 4.6...does the cam only bolt to the sprocket one way like is thw a alignment pin? Or is it possible to bolt it in in the wrong position

• Sponsors (?)

Simple Installation Process. The Howards Rattler Camshaft allows for an easy installation process that does not require drilling or custom modification. With the help of light tools and light to moderate mechanical skills, you can complete the installation in 4 hours; however, those not mechanically inclined should consult a professiona

If you're going to the trouble of changing the cams, why not install the rest of the "supporting cast" as it were? I feel like you're leaving a lot on the table.
Anyway, I'm not sure how similar the 4.6in the Mustang is to the 4.6 they built the "trouble some Triton on, but if it is, you don't need a bunch of special tools. The chain can be hung from a cut and re-bent wire coat hanger. You can move the tensioner back with a screwdriver.

If you're going to the trouble of changing the cams, why not install the rest of the "supporting cast" as it were? I feel like you're leaving a lot on the table.
Anyway, I'm not sure how similar the 4.6in the Mustang is to the 4.6 they built the "trouble some Triton on, but if it is, you don't need a bunch of special tools. The chain can be hung from a cut and re-bent wire coat hanger. You can move the tensioner back with a screwdriver.
I was just going with the cams due to lack of money for the rest, and knowledge, the howards rattler cam im choosing is only a little power gain but does add the muscle car cam soumd and doesnt require any other changes, springs etc..i just dont know if the cams have to be in a certain position or if as long as the chain and sprocket doesnt move then just set the cams in and bolt down. Ive only had experience with sbc where the engine has to be tdc, then you have to set all the valves and rockers, and i didnt know if this was the same process

Yeah, lack of funds, I totally get that. But with a new intake and a couple other toys down the road, you will get more out of it, but, that's another story for another time.
As for the problem at hand, IF the Mustang 4.6 is anything like the 4.6 "Troublesome Triton" (and I think it's the same block just different heads) if you have anywhere in the neighborhood of 10K on it, replace the chains - they like to stretch. and do the tensioner while you're at it. (surface wear) and re-time the thing from scratch. Your plan seems good on paper, but stretched chains will blow that out of the water, and make it impossible to time anyway.
Yes, people do get away with re-using the chains, especially with the phased cams, (and replacing those phasers are the main reason to take that bit apart) But those didn't come along in the Triton until 04. Well, that, and the early motors like to spit the spark plugs. Depending on how meany and which ones were spit, sometimes it was easier to take the heads off to sleeve it.