Camshafts

Save your money. Do the work once. Buy parts as you go and install them at one time. Stock heads are waste of time. I wouldn't invest the time,money,effort for just a cam change and definetly wouldn't pay for springs on stock heads(even though it may be necessary). Do some investigation/research on what you want/need for this project and come up with a game plan. Many people on here can help point you in a good direction if you so desire.

Also just for @mikestang63

B303 ftmfw

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with just wanting a little lope.
These cars are slow as all get out if we're honest and the appeal of them for most is that they look good and sound good with a few simple modifications you've got the perfect 90s hot rod to cruise in.

It's a slippery slope when you start saying (well if you're gonna do this you might as well go ahead and ____) ask me how I know...

If you're going to put a camshaft in it, you'd be better off putting better heads on it. The e7s are a horrible head. But if you put heads on it you're going to need to put a new intake on it, the stock one is also horrible.

But if you're going to pay $2,000 for a nice set of aluminum heads and more for a fancy new intake it might as well go on a fresh motor right? Makes sense, don't want to waste your money.

So now we're gonna slap a fresh bottom end together. And if we're doing that we might as well go 351w based, it's all the same effort might as well go with the better motor.

Etc etc, next thing you know your cars sitting in the garage torn apart because you're still putting the cash together for your new 408w.

I guess my mad mike-ish rambling sums up to:
A cam swap is easy. It's also a good experience to have under your belt. It's relatively cheap when you compare it to all the other mods people do.

Buy new springs, pushrods, gaskets and whatever letter cam or TFS typical ots cam your heart desires. It's not like you can't pull the springs back off the heads and throw the e7s in the trash.

There are absolutely better camshafts out there, but there are also better everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
thanks tanner for your info. I have done northstar head gaskets on my caddy in frame so I would think it would be pretty simple to do a cam is this pony lol
Who cares how much work and time it'll take so long as you're doing the work yourself and not paying a shop rate of $80+ per/hr. For a lot of us these cars are like a hobby or a passtime. There are people that will spend more time polishing engine parts purely for looks than it will take for you to install a "lumpy" cam purely for sound so I say it's your time and money, do what makes you happy.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with just wanting a little lope.
the appeal of them for most is that they look good and sound good with a few simple modifications you've got the perfect 90s hot rod to cruise in..
This^^

Reactions: 1 user
Hang with me here...
What most everyone is trying to say, is that unless you are committed to running the stock heads, there really is not much point of installing a cam now. Any cam designed for the stock heads is going to be a mismatch for aftermarket heads, and vice-versa. Not too many shelf cams out there designed to work with "restricted" combos.
None of the letter cams are "right" for stock heads/short block. They all require better air flow characteristics and/or more compression.
Now, at this point in time with your stock motor, the heads are capable of more flow than your stock intake manifold is providing, so it's not the cam that is holding you up.
Forgoing that...
You want a cam to give it some nostalgic vibes.
I, totally get that.
Do you also want near stock like drive-ability?
If so, I have seen a very reputable custom cam designer recommend the following... quote...

A stock motor needs a very conservative seat duration, with hefty ramp rate. Then a stock motor needs exhaust lobe positioning more in line with what a restricted motor requires; ie delayed exh (narrower LSA).
I have said many times that the 270/270, 215/215, 110 comp is a very nice OTS cam for the Ford 5.0 that will cover a reasonably wide range typical mods (while utilizing the stock heads). It will not work well with the stock exh system, but throw on headers and decent 2 1/2" dual system and it will really do well. There are extremely needed valve spring upgrades required, though. Its not for everyone, but if the intent is to keep the drivability stock-like, with max rpms in the 5300-5500 region then the Comp can work extremely well.

Here are some related threads that might excite you... or bore you...
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/cam-for-stock-motor.884278/#post-8903046
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/what-type-of-gains-from-a-good-cam-on-stock-h-i.512882/page-2#post-4694690

Reactions: 1 user
thanks tanner for your info. I have done northstar head gaskets on my caddy in frame so I would think it would be pretty simple to do a cam is this pony lol

Props to you man. When my 02 DTS N* motor lifted a head at 90k miles despite regular maintenence, I traded it in as it was my DD I looked into timeserting the block, but when I figured out the cost to pull the motor, parts, it wasn't that much difference in value for the car as a trade in fixed.That was the last GM car i will ever buy . A $55k POS.