Can a leaky injector cause occasional backfiring?

• Sponsors (?)

i would assume so considering you would have extra fuel sitting around... when my 02 sensor wennt bad my car backfired because it was dumping fuel... i guess it depends on how much its leaking... you have any codes???

Thanks. No, I don't have codes but I know one was leaking because when I #2plug, it had fuel on it one time. It only backfired once and I thought someone was shooting at me!! Hahah! But I can hear a slight pop like sound that is like it wants to backfire occasionally. If I leave it this way will it hurt anything?

It would depend upon how bad it is.

Remember that in the old days, cars were not so prude with the fuel delivery - all cylinders were being hosed down with extra fuel when not absolutely needed.

You could pull the injector and have a shop check it out, or do your own test (connect regulated air to the injector, set it at 40 PSIG and put the pintle-end into a cup of water with a dash of soap. When the air is flowing, if the injector leaks you'll get bubbles.

Good luck.

just replace it injectors can be found cheap... if you know what one it is... might as well..

Just my personal experience, but I bought the cheaper 30's from summit (frpp) and one leaked like a mofo. I bought a replacement from accel and it's such a superior piece. Don't go cheap IMHO and get the accel's.