Resolved Car wont start after running out of fuel

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

Demelle155

5 Year Member
Oct 12, 2017
Like stated in the title i put a new engine in the car and swapped the aod to a t5.
Car started right up idled just fine but then it ran out of gas now it will crank but not start after i put new fuel in.
So far i have tested:
Fuel pressure at 40 psi at the rail
Injectors signal with noid light
Spark plugs fire
Unplugged the maf and sprout no change
No codes except for the egr and thermo emession stuff which i have removed
Im at a los here, could it be a bad computer?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Have you verified you have fuel at the rails? I only say this because if you are getting spark at the plug then you don’t have fuel otherwise it would run.

Have you verified you have fuel at the rails? I only say this because if you are getting spark at the plug then you don’t have fuel otherwise it would run.
No i only verified i have 40 psi pressure at the schrader valve to see if it was my pump.
Also i tried to spray with start fluid at the intake but also would not start

When it shut off it just lowered the rpms for a second or 2 then just cut out.
I checked the spark with a plug against the upper intake and it sparked.
I sprayed in the throttle body and in the air filter hose while my wife was cranking and nothing.
Maybe the tfi module and i havent checked the tps yet, how much v should it be at?

TPS voltage here (Post #20):

TFI module testing (Post #6):

Well after letting it sit for a night it started right up this morning....
New problem is when i give it full gas the rpms rise slowly to around 2500 rpms and then stops

Changed the tfi module now it wil start at wot to 1000rpms and when i let the pedal go it dies down.
Which reminded me the car has a hci swap and i put in 30lbs injectors with the correct maf.... maybe its just to much?

I kinda doubt it. Have you checked your TPS voltage with the throttle closed and then checked the voltages as it is slowly opened. If that checks good then do a base idle reset.

This thread is pure gold and I would suggest you read the whole thing but the base idle reset is in Post #2:

I kinda doubt it. Have you checked your TPS voltage with the throttle closed and then checked the voltages as it is slowly opened. If that checks good then do a base idle reset.

This thread is pure gold and I would suggest you read the whole thing but the base idle reset is in Post #2:

Ok thnx i measured it closed at 0.93v , the rest will be for after work

Reactions: 1 users

Well i read the whole thing but for the base idle reset the car must be running which it isn't.
As soon as i take my foot off the gas it dies
Its probably going to be something stupid that i overlooked when i swapped the engine because the old one ran fine with this setup :thinking:

Pull the fuel filter and dump any fuel from the inlet side into a clear glass.

What does it look like? Any bits in it?

If so, it might be time to get a look inside the tank for sediment. If you find a dirty tank then an injector clean and flow test is in order. Flush the fuel system too.

Thats also on the list im swapping my 30lbs injectors now to the original 19 ones.
The 30s are bosch 0280155759 ones is this the right injector or not?
I don't understand the question.

What's more is I have another question: How are you telling the EEC that you're making this swap to 19 lb injectors?

What method of parts and tuning are you using to accommodate the current[?} set of 30 lb injectors?