Centerforce Dual Friction or DFX?

FastGT94

Nov 20, 2003
NW Burbs, IL
I'm currently buying up the necessary parts for a TKO600 swap on my 94 5.0. So far I've sourced the bellhousing and a new flywheel and my next search is a 26 spline clutch. I've narrowed my choices to either the Centerforce DFX or Dual Friction.

I'm not making huge power right now (~300 rwhp 320 rwtq) but may in the future (600 or so hp), and want something that will have better street manners compared with the Spec II and won't be as tough on the driveline. I have a Spec II now and would prefer a clutch that is a bit more forgiving.

I've heard the dual friction is good to about 600 hp and the DFX is more. Also I know the DFX is lighter and a 6 puck style, but I don't know what that does for drivability.

I'm also trying to avoid having to change the clutch again if I add more power. So this being said, which clutch will one be most pleased with for overall powerhandling but with smooth chatter free use? (no on/off switch).

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Both are good. I have used Dual Frictions in all my cars. 96 Cobra...400+RWHP....95GT 400+RWHP...and my 91 notch 225FWHP. All cars are great with this clutch. Easy pedal effort, and good holding power.

Thanks for the input, but I'm a bit confused.

I see in your sig you use a DFX in the 96 cobra and 91 notch. So did you go from a dual friction to the DFX or are you referring solely to the DFX?

If you went from dual friction to DFX, how did it differ from the dual friction and what was the reason for moving up to the DFX?

Thanks.

Oh...man I think my sig is messed up....see I used to think they were the same clutches. I thought the CFDX was short for "dual friction" Since reading your thread now I know they are different.....I have the Dual Frictions...and love them. I will change my sig now...thanks..

I would contact Centerforce and see what they say about it.

I would not bet on a Dual Friction holding 600 hp.

I believe the DFX is lighter, if I recall.

Here is the descripton of the DFX from Centerforce:

The DFX line is the latest series of performance clutches from Centerforce. Centerforce is proud to announce DFX as their competition-proven clutch package for select import and domestic applications. This new DFX series is engineered for competition standards of quality and craftsmanship. The DFX series is aimed at high-end applications that continually demand increased integrity and holding-capacity. DFX scores big, not only with holding-capacity and strength, but also provides some of the best drivability from a race-inspired clutch. DFX retains an easy pedal effort, thanks to Centerforce’s patented ball bearing actuated diaphragm, for smooth engagements without detriment to the vehicle’s release components. The Centerforce DFX performance clutch system utilizes Nodular Iron pressure plate rings and reinforcements designed to help prevent drive strap breakage and safety. The DFX series allows the end user to tailor the performance and style of driving with different choices of clutches and clutch discs: From street/strip to full-on drag racing capability.

Maybe you could make a quick call to them and they could give you some quick answers:nice:

Here is the part numbers that I have:

Centerforce Stage I Pressure Plate (30%) - CF-360048
Centerforce Stage II Pressure Plate (60% more holding power) - CFT-360048
Centerforce Stage I Pressure Plate for 93-95 Cobra - CF-360057
Centerforce Stage II Pressure Plate for 93-95 Cobra - CFT-360057
Centerforce Clutch Disc for Stage I/II Pressure Plate - CTF-381021
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch for 86-93 (90% more holding power) - CTF-DF021048
Centerforce Dual Friction for 93-95 Cobra (Fits 86-95 but has more clamping force) - CTF-DF021057
Centerforce DFX series for 86-95 (Lightweight Centerforce Clutch Disc) - CTF-LM021057

There is a light metal clutch series too, hmm...