Changing 91 foxbody oil pan to a slanted oil pan?

91foxracing

Feb 15, 2021
Florida
I own a 91 foxbody and need to replace the oil pan gasket. I know how annoying this is going to be because it's old and the gasket will need to be scraped, and if I don't lift the engine and just replace it through the small clearance the old gasket parts will fall into the oil pan when scraping old gasket off. Does any know if I could just angle grind this factory curved oil pan with two sides to drain oil, and replace it with a slanted one where it can slide in and out without having to lift the engine just to replace the gasket?

• Sponsors (?)

You might be better served asking your question here: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/fox-5-0-mustang/

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're not going to be able to do that. It sounds like it's a 5.0 car, if that's the case the 2 humps in the pan are there for a reason. The front sump is where the oil pump is located, the pick up tube is routed to the rear sump. I think one of the only ways you could do that would be to completely change the oiling system to a dry sump system. From what I understand that's not a feasible option for anything other than a dedicated racer. But if you either pose your question in the section I shared or if a mod can move this thread I suspect you'll hear from others who may have more knowledge and/or experience than I. :shrug:

@Noobz347 @MustangIIMatt @General karthief

Reactions: 1 user
You really can’t. The hump is to clear the k-member and drop the engine low enough. Front hunp holds the oil punp, rear is the pickup and most of the oil reserve.

BA1005C4-7629-40AD-B231-14E502067775.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
You might be better served asking your question here: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/fox-5-0-mustang/

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're not going to be able to do that. It sounds like it's a 5.0 car, if that's the case the 2 humps in the pan are there for a reason. The front sump is where the oil pump is located, the pick up tube is routed to the rear sump. I think one of the only ways you could do that would be to completely change the oiling system to a dry sump system. From what I understand that's not a feasible option for anything other than a dedicated racer. But if you either pose your question in the section I shared or if a mod can move this thread I suspect you'll hear from others who may have more knowledge and/or experience than I. :shrug:

@Noobz347 @MustangIIMatt @General karthief

@General karthief Were you sleepy last night? :lol: (See statement in red - that's why I tagged you guys)

Pulling the pan with the engine in is NOT fun !
I've had to do it more that once unfortunately.
I removed the upper intake so I could lift the engine as high as possible and it was still a curse word fest.
Essentially get the engine as high as possible , I secured it with a HF support bar, unbolt pan drop on K member ,
reach in an unbolt oil pump drop in pan, then proceed to try and wrestled the pan out the back of the K member.
Installation is the reverse, put pump / pickup in pan , wrestle back in , reach in blindly and bolt up pump / pickup,
don't forget the gasket.
Not impossible but definitely not fun.