Clutch cable suggestions

MMs website did and still does specifically deny that their cables are FRPP cables.
Ford and ford racing are two separate entities.. The frpp cable is available to order... I'm talking about oem ford, they where just an oem ford mustang service cable from newer mustangs with the bushing and bracket removed. The frpp is and has been Taiwan sourced for ages and are not even close to the same build quality of the oem ford cable, think 2004 ish the majority of the Fox body catalog parts where over seas sourced. Was about the time they redid the replica 93 cobra intake. The frpp none adjustable was better then most aftermaket cables at the time though.

You used to be able to buy the oem 03-04 cobra cable for sub $40, the gt and v6 cables where 60-70 ish from dealers or sites like tasca, I used to buy most of that stuff from winner or downs ford when they still had the ford racing sections at thier dealerships parts departments.... you could pretty much use any of them on a fox body the same way mm used the cable and have a oem quality level cable, if you have a firewall adjuster and quadrant and might need a spacer on the end depending on the quadrant.. The gt cable was the longest of them I think the 03-04 cobra was an inch or half inch shorter. Like I said I just ended up grabbing used oem ones at u pull its vs buying new, along with other common sn95 to new edge stuff ppl swapped into fox bodies... Gt, cobra v6 didn't matter if you had a quadrant and adjuster, rarely used the frame rail brackets but the longer cables come in handy for guys with the big tube headers or turbo manifolds.

I have a large amount of Nos mustang stuff I've picked up over the years incase I ever want to do a full restoration on my coupe. even a e4zz ford service cable still in the box, those have been obsolete for years and where made in Canada like a lot of the fox body parts where, back then ford parts where better quality then the motor craft stuff now that's no better then parts store stuff for most things.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I'll take all the cable pics anybody has. Might make for a good thread. :O_o:
Ebay is a good source for pics on used ones... Oem cables for the sn95 to new edge almost all ways had a green tag near the firewall section, after markets all have a different style cable construction. Very easy to spot an oem 94-04 cable once your used to seeing them.

Steeda Top & MM bottom
MM is longer
IMG-20230515-WA0001.jpeg

MM:
IMG-20230515-WA0005.jpeg

Steeda:
IMG-20230515-WA0007.jpeg

MM top, Steeda bottom
MM thinner, more tightly woven strands.
IMG-20230515-WA0009.jpeg

From MMs website, MM on bottom. Aftermarket top.
Screenshot_20230515-211406_WhatsApp.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
The top cable style in mm's picture are the ones that collapse.. The coiled sheathing ends up deformed and cutting into the cable or at least that's the issue I all ways had with them...

The newer 94-up oem ford cables all had that black firewall end, just with a bushing on it. the aftermarket has it to but they all ways have a metal band around the sheathing where it meets the cable housing end. I guess MM scrubs the part number when they take the bushing and the bracket off the cable, its usually printed on that small outer cover in the middle of the cable..

The steeda cable is a 79-95 I'm guessing, not a 96-04, they have one for each. Hard to tell without the frame rail bracket, but the 96 up one they sell should be longer then the fox style and I assume longer then the MM if its adjustable.

Hays used to make a very stout adjustable cable with metal ends that was blue but they where like double the cost of everything back then, pretty sure that's also no longer made.

I will never use a cable again that has the white plastic ends. I've replaced probably 50 of them. On customers cars they would jam up in the sheath or pull the sheath through that white plastic. The last cable I bought for myself was a Ford one from a local dealer. One of the autozone cables was OK too. It had the black plastic and felt like OEM. I have no idea what brand they were. The cheap white plastic ones were sold by Advance, AZ, and a few other places. I'd ride around from store to store until I found a good one. Napa used to carry a decent one also.

Atp has the black plastic but with the metal band on it.. Just ask for a 04 gt cable from most parts stores should get you that in the longest length like the MM cable.You would have to ditch the frame rail bracket and possibly use a spacer on the quadrant end. I would still rather have an oem ford one though. Think a 94-95 replacement from them should have the same end but comes with a fox style frame rail bracket and fits with and stock routing, they where a tiny bit longer to account for the bell housing /input shaft lengths on the sn95. With the aftermarket stuff its like the replacement Speedo cables they consolidated parts numbers and make one part to fit a few different versions and years so oem is all ways going to be the best option even if you have to get creative and use newer versions of them and have to adapt it to fit which is pretty much what MM did.

I'll never order another part from CJPony. I'm surprised they are still in business. I used to drive up there to their store. Not anymore. They'll never get a single penny of my money again.

Kinda figured... I remember this happening with CJPony a few times in the past. I'll probably stop with them unless, kinda like I thought about this, they really have something no one else does. Sent a message:

"So, basically, you guys lie on your website when it says "In stock" to get the money, which you charge immediately to the credit card, and then you report a delay or back order... got it. Issue a refund, now."

They sent back an email explaining how to cancel the order on their website, but I'd rather a human read that.

I'm not really pissed. I just think it's a shoddy business practice of theirs. Should have taken a screenshot of "In Stock" when I placed the order. That's why it went on my Amex Plat... Amex doesn't F around when you tell them to dispute a charge. If it goes through for Noobz, I figure the back order was filled and other places can get 'em, too.

Last edited:
Err... well... this is unexpected. CJ sent me a shipment notice. Apparently the cables are enroute. I'm glad they didn't cancel the order, if that's the case.