Coming out of hibernation.

Enzio

Dang it. I was hoping mine would get 3 more inches
May 14, 2019
Minnesota
Spent the winter enjoying the 150+ inches of snow and 4' of ice on the Canadian border. Did a little visit to Florida. Went back to the border to help with the flood preparation. It didn't make much of a difference. Read all the posts on Stangnet I've missed out on lately and decided that it's time to get the Cobra II back out on the road. Even though it doesn't feel like it. 55 and a cold NW wind. But, you guys inspired me to get after it.

Pulled the cover off the car and opened the hood.
oh-oh

IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

I guess I should have replaced the 30 year old radiator while the car was down last summer.
Ordered a new one. While I wait for it I can pull out the grill and go see if Phil has a replacement.
Radiator is draining..........

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ugg. That is not a welcome sight when waking them up. I am curious why it started leaking while stored though. From the pic I cannot tell if there is a crack or the paint bubbled where the antifreeze ran down. Usually high up like that indicates pressure in the system. I wonder if the antifreeze failed and allowed some expansion inside due to ice? I see green but I have worked with shop owners who used blue dye in their washer fluid water.....

If you suspect it may have frozen I would inspect the freeze out plugs. Do you have a hydrometer to test old antifreeze?

Reactions: 1 user
Good points. I think I have one of those coolant testers around. I'll check although I don't think it's a problem. I noticed last fall a small drop or so several times right near the radiator cap and thought it was the cap leaking. But it is a small crack where the neck was soldered to the tank.
@IICrew didn't you put an aluminum radiator in last year? I think you said you used some rubber insulation where it bolted up? Can you let me know what you used? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
T tops is running a factory radiator I had recored back in 87. The mach I has the new Champion brand aluminum radiator. It was under $300 when I bought it last year. It bolted right up using factory mounts. I have not driven it more then a couple miles at a time as my side business folded during covid and it still needs exhaust and tires. That said it fits great and held water so far.

T tops is running a factory radiator I had recored back in 87. The mach I has the new Champion brand aluminum radiator. It was under $300 when I bought it last year. It bolted right up using factory mounts. I have not driven it more then a couple miles at a time as my side business folded during covid and it still needs exhaust and tires. That said it fits great and held water so far.
Did you use some rubber insulators to help with vibration?

Went to Phil's farm and picked up a 76 grill and traded in my 78 grill.
IMG_3704.JPG
A little spit and polish...add in my original chrome signals, snake and presto!
IMG_3705.JPG
Radiator is supposed to show up this afternoon.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to share a couple old pics of my car here and make a suggestion that I think helps set the grill off. As you can see, I installed some chrome strips to the horizontal bars of the grill. It's just self stick door edging that you can pick up from O'Reillys/Autozone/Advance for something like $20 iirc. I think you'd be able to trim or otherwise somehow make it work with the snake if you so choose, but I think it helps the looks of the front end of the car. Just some food for thought. :)

Before:

2838263346_3cd8e65634_c.jpg

After:

2837434659_5d5d933a4f_c.jpg

I'm going to share a couple old pics of my car here and make a suggestion that I think helps set the grill off. As you can see, I installed some chrome strips to the horizontal bars of the grill. It's just self stick door edging that you can pick up from O'Reillys/Autozone/Advance for something like $20 iirc. I think you'd be able to trim or otherwise somehow make it work with the snake if you so choose, but I think it helps the looks of the front end of the car. Just some food for thought. :)

Before:

2838263346_3cd8e65634_c.jpg

After:

2837434659_5d5d933a4f_c.jpg
Your car looks so nice.

I have been thinking about grills the past week or two. And here you guys go and add fuel to the fire.

I keep going back and forth and cannot decide which I like better. I think it depends on the look your after.

The blacked out with orange t/s is menacing. But clashes with the chrome on your car. It has a cheap plastic aesthetic.

The after looks wider and gives it more of a classic car feel. Makes the front end look more in sync with the chrome. Seems less toy like.

I have the blacked out trim so the chrome is out for me but I want to get rid of the plastic looking grill. hmmmm

I traded in a 78 completely blacked out grill. The trim ring was originally gold. Would look good on a king. I didn't really like it because I had the original with the chrome turn signals...they are not compatible to the 78. On the blacked out one I traded the turn signal housings are molded into the grill where the chrome ones are separate.

Things left to do before ignition:
Remove and repaint dash cap flat black.
Replace speedo cable with a good original I picked up from Phil.
Reroute choke cable.
Pull the MC and adjust the push-rod. Where I have it now there is about 2" of play.
Pull the center counsel and make a little more clearance on the shifter for 2nd and 4th gear. It vibrates slightly under hard acceleration.
Change oil and filter.
Clean the engine bay and underneath.
Fix the rattle from the rear window louver.
Pull both door panels and try once again to get the glass to seal.
I know there's something else but it's beer time.

For the dash I used SEM trim black. I like it. There is a smooth surface but no glare. It has a little sheen to it. It's almost flat but not chalky like a lot of flat blacks are. SEM paint cans have a much better spray and coverge than any other rattle can I have used.

That push rod is a pain. Not hard to do but mine is still out of adjustment. At one point the car would brake itself after driving for a few miles and heating up the fluid. Now I am at the other extreme with my pedal on the floor. Wasnt too bad before carpet was installed. Now I get to adjust it again.