Cooked clutch

Well, I discovered the stock clutch does not hold up long behind 500 horsepower. I thought it smelled funny when I came home a few weeks ago. Turns out the clutch is fried. The pedal is all the way up and the auto-adjuster appears to be completely adjusted. It still engages, but I am not sure for how much longer.

Anybody have a high performance clutch recommendation for a '96 Cobra?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have any personal experience with clutch advice, but have heard many speak highly of Spec clutches - not sure what stage would be appropriate for your usage. Maybe a stage 2 or even a 3 (think stage 1 is geared more for a stock replacement duty).

There should be quite a few aftermarket clutch choices out there for those running forced induction on their mustang. Check with several of the online mustang parts vendors/Stangnet sponsors as well to get a better idea for what's available on the market.

Did you ask any of the guys at your track what they recommend or other 'stang owners at local meets in your area already? :shrug:

Well, I discovered the stock clutch does not hold up long behind 500 horsepower. I thought it smelled funny when I came home a few weeks ago. Turns out the clutch is fried. The pedal is all the way up and the auto-adjuster appears to be completely adjusted. It still engages, but I am not sure for how much longer.

Anybody have a high performance clutch recommendation for a '96 Cobra?

King Cobra Ford Racing clutch kit for yours, I went with the HD version because I'm only at 350hp so I went with the HD Ford Racing clutch kit and bought the pilot bearing separately which is recommended to do at the same time. Bought a new pressure plate bolt kit for it because it called for a different bolt than stock. This kit came with alignment dowels as well.