Coyote swap alternator wiring

97Coyote

Mar 17, 2020
Nc
I have a 97 Cobra with a coyote swap and coyote control pack. For some reason the alternator bracket is for a 4g alternator and reverse mounted on the front of the motor. The alternator has a 3 pin plug (LG/R, WHT/BLK, and Y wires) the white/black wire usually goes to a stator plug, but this alternator doesn’t have a spot for a stator plug. Where should that wire connect to now? Everything I’ve been able to find just involves the yellow and the green wires, but the alternator also has 3 pins so I would think the center(where the wht/blk connects) should be running to something.

• Sponsors (?)

It would help to KNOW:
  • Is the PCM expecting to interface to a PCM controlled alternator?
  • Is this alternator's regulator expecting to receive a signal from the PCM?
IMO you should EXPECT problems if the type of alternator doesn't agree with what the PCM is expecting.

NOTE. If asking for an educated guess, the Coyote control pack is expecting to interface with a PCM controlled alternator.

Thanks for the info once again. I’ve been wanting to swap it to the coyote alternator but a bracket for that is quite expensive. I don’t know why whoever put the PBH brackets on bought the one for the old style alternator instead of the one made for that motor. The alternator seems to work perfectly fine now that I finally got one that wasn’t defective from the parts store but I definitely don’t want to run into any issues in the future because of it.

So upon strenuous hours of going through wiring I found the coyote control pack alternator connector. The person that installed the harness decided to hardwire the alternator connector for the old style alternator. The pin 1 hot wire goes to the B terminal for constant power as it would on that alternator back in the day, but they ran the ignition wire through the passenger firewall to an ignition wire. Why they didn’t just plug an adapter plug (which they make for the control pack) from the control pack directly to the alternator beats the hell outta me. I’m not certain if this is my problem since what I’ve been searching up states that the 2012 pcm doesn’t regulate the alternator but haven’t been able to find a solid professional answer on that to rule it out. I have been through 3 alternators in about a months time now but somehow the one before those was working fine for a good while. These resent ones are whining and get really hot super fast. I would find it hard to believe that I got 3 bad alternators in a row.

As an update, just found a reputable source saying pcm does control voltage regulation so it’s sounds like that very well could be my issue with the alternators burning out. I think I’m going to delete the bs hardwiring that was done and drop in a 2012 alternator and bracket.

8526E1E3-3838-430C-B892-AE8669AF3EE0.jpeg
975EF08E-2038-450D-BF1B-48E059697019.jpeg

So I ended up getting the 2012 alternator and running it through the control pack. Also upgraded the power wire to the alternator to a 4 gauge. Homemade a bracket instead of paying $250 through PBH and so far so good. Only time will tell if my issue is fixed.

Reactions: 1 user