Cranks but wont start

TLAN

Apr 19, 2020
langley BC
I have a 2.3L 1990 mustang i was daily driving for about a year. I left it sitting for a few months starting it every 2 weeks or so until one day i went to start it and it wont start. it'll crank and sound as if it will just about start but then doesn't. i have since checked for spark, replaced the spark plugs/wires, replaces the rotor and cap, fuel pump sounds to be working, emergency shut off is not triggered and i just recently hooked up a OBD1 computer to it giving me error code 31 which i fixed by replacing the EGR valve. now i get no error codes and i am stumped to what might be causing this, any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2.3L 1990 mustang i was daily driving for about a year. I left it sitting for a few months starting it every 2 weeks or so until one day i went to start it and it wont start. it'll crank and sound as if it will just about start but then doesn't. i have since checked for spark, replaced the spark plugs/wires, replaces the rotor and cap, fuel pump sounds to be working, emergency shut off is not triggered and i just recently hooked up a OBD1 computer to it giving me error code 31 which i fixed by replacing the EGR valve. now i get no error codes and i am stumped to what might be causing this, any ideas?
Those are known to slip a timing belt.

Reactions: 1 user
My vote is for timing belt too. Good news is... they have one of the easiest timing belts to replace.

I've had this happen TWICE on 2 different 2.3 powered Mustangs. Oh and one ranger. All 3 times it was after sitting for a while, couple months up to a couple years on the Ranger. The intake valves have a tendency to gum up with staled fuel, which hangs the valves open because the little springs just ain't very strong (they don't need to be in a stock application PLUS they wear out). Sometimes you can pull the valve cover and find the followers just laying there. Other times the followers will be in place and a gentle tap with a hammer on the intake valves can free them up. Other times, pull the head. It's easy enough to do on a 2.3. I think it took me under 2 hours on my 93.

Could be timing belt too as mentioned but in all of my experience, it was usually a stuck intake valve or two.