Cranks but wont start

TLAN

Apr 19, 2020
langley BC
I have a 2.3L 1990 mustang i was daily driving for about a year. I left it sitting for a few months starting it every 2 weeks or so until one day i went to start it and it wont start. it'll crank and sound as if it will just about start but then doesn't. i have since checked for spark, replaced the spark plugs/wires, replaces the rotor and cap, fuel pump sounds to be working, emergency shut off is not triggered and i just recently hooked up a OBD1 computer to it giving me error code 31 which i fixed by replacing the EGR valve. now i get no error codes and i am stumped to what might be causing this, any ideas?

• Sponsors(?)

STEVE PATTON

I smell a conspiracy
Jan 6, 2019
ohio
I have a 2.3L 1990 mustang i was daily driving for about a year. I left it sitting for a few months starting it every 2 weeks or so until one day i went to start it and it wont start. it'll crank and sound as if it will just about start but then doesn't. i have since checked for spark, replaced the spark plugs/wires, replaces the rotor and cap, fuel pump sounds to be working, emergency shut off is not triggered and i just recently hooked up a OBD1 computer to it giving me error code 31 which i fixed by replacing the EGR valve. now i get no error codes and i am stumped to what might be causing this, any ideas?
Those are known to slip a timing belt.

Reactions: 90sickfox

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
My vote is for timing belt too. Good news is... they have one of the easiest timing belts to replace.

junkyardwarrior

5 Year Member
Jan 10, 2011
I've had this happen TWICE on 2 different 2.3 powered Mustangs. Oh and one ranger. All 3 times it was after sitting for a while, couple months up to a couple years on the Ranger. The intake valves have a tendency to gum up with staled fuel, which hangs the valves open because the little springs just ain't very strong (they don't need to be in a stock application PLUS they wear out). Sometimes you can pull the valve cover and find the followers just laying there. Other times the followers will be in place and a gentle tap with a hammer on the intake valves can free them up. Other times, pull the head. It's easy enough to do on a 2.3. I think it took me under 2 hours on my 93.

Could be timing belt too as mentioned but in all of my experience, it was usually a stuck intake valve or two.