DD a clean stock fox?

DD a Fox????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
I'm sick of the ol 180,000 mile unreliable SHO and am looking to get another Fox to DD. I found a couple nice ones in my area. I'm looking to spend between 4000-5000. I want nothing radical and would prefer an auto but stick would be nice. Should I DD a fox again or should I look to get somethin else? I miss drivin a Fox everyday. They are easy to work on and parts are a dime a dozen. Let me know what you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

I started DD'ing a super clean '91 gt (auto w/ full exhaust, pretty much stock) to replace my wrecked '91 lx, after driving it with some multicolored panels for a few months. I had planned on getting the lx painted / making a project out of it, but ended up stripping it to work on the GT.

It's hard DD'ing a clean fox, now it sits in the garage most of the time and I drive the wife's car.

Highly recommend against the auto. Yeah, you can build em up, but I went ahead and started the t5 swap.... now I can't DD it for a couple weeks while I wait on parts. Still great to drive everyday though, I just hate worrying about the weather all the time.

Well, I'm a bit biased since that's exactly what I did a few years back (2003). I considered other cars in the $9,000> range but I didn't care for anything I saw. When I saw the '92, which was a bone stock automatic in great shape, I had to have it. I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to DD these cars but others in the price range did nothing for me. It had to be something I actually wanted to be in every day. Unfortunately, I can't vote "yes" on the poll because I could never honestly tell someone not to "race" their 5.0. lol

Well the thing is I have my 88 thats gonna be my show/strip car. I obviously don't want to DD that. I love foxes and I'm planning on getting one very soon. Found a beautiful black auto notch and a white gt with black interior. Both are in the 4000-4500 range.

A 5.0 Fox makes a perfectly acceptable DD car, especially the hatchbacks (for when you need to carry stuff). I DD my '84 and, aside from the fact that my particular car is a bit too slow and the exhaust a bit too quiet for my liking, I'm happy with it. Gas mileage is pretty good, too (24 MPG highway average). :nice:

The issue I would have against your idea is DD'ing a NICE Fox. Seems like such a waste to me.

Given, neither of my Foxes are show cars, but I prefer to keep teh Notch for my weekend toy and DD the '84 because 1. Four-eyed auto hatches are a dime a dozen out here, 2. The CFI motor is crap for building up, 3. I have enough parts already invested in the notch that if I DD'ed it and some butthole without insurance destroyed it, I would be totally screwed out of all that (whereas I have almost nothing in mods on the '84).

When you have a nice car and a nicer car, the lesser of the two should be the DD, IMO. If you're filthy-rich and can afford two really nice cars, that's fine and dandy, DD whatever you want. But it just seems a shame to take a really nice Fox and just use it for a daily beater. A Fox doesn't have to cost $3,000+ to look nice or be a good DD - usually those in the $4,000+ range are more than just solid, they're usually either built or they're well-preserved, in which case DD'ing it would put it through normal wear and tear that will undo all the effort put into preserving or restoring that car. I know there's millions of Foxes still on the road, but there's not that many really NICE Foxes out there, so tearing one up by DD'ing it (no matter how well you take care of it) just seems ... I dunno ... kinda tragic. :shrug:

I had to think on this one a minute. They were made to be driven:nice:. But, given there are fewer and fewer nice ones, and the almost useless nature in areas of our country that have real winter, it made me think. I drove both mine when they were new, all year. It only took one Chicago winter with 3.55's to have me in a 77 T-bird DD, so I could actually go somewhere. But one could go to the dealer and get a new 5.0, so they weren't "special", like now. For selfish reasons, I say, get one, drive the hell out of it. When its worn out, dump it, get another, repeat. Lets eat 'em up. The less there are, the more "special" mine will be, to me, and any perspective buyers:D.

the only advantage to dd a fox is the parts and how much you know about them. when something breaks you already know how to fix it. but also if you have one to keep the fox bug down,maybe you should get something newer. i see 99-04gt's going for the 6k in really good condition around here. just an idea. i want a 99+gt bad, but i cannot see going form 45mpg to 20mpg with some speeding tickets lol

I love to DD my 87 LX auto. Still pretty "fun" to drive with the shift kit, but really nice just to cruise. Have a full stereo + tons of sound deadener on all my floor and panels.

I guess I will go against the flow. I just sold my other stang and if you ask me having an SN95 still keeps it in the stang family but gives MUCH more comfort than a fox. I will NEVER sell my fox though, thats the difference... Its always a matter of choice, but if you see my posting you will see how cheap this car was to pick up. Pains me like a son of a to get rid of it..:(