Debating on going Forced Induction...

I have really be debating here lately on going forced induction with my 02 gt. At first I was going to go with a Kenne Bell, but I dont think I could make myself pay $6,000 for a polished blower. Then I started thinking more and more about going turbo :D.

Has anyone on here had any experience with On 3 Performance? Their kits are pretty cheap for what all comes with it. Only thing you have to provide is injectors, mass air, tubular K member and a tune. I already have injectors and mass air so that would save some cash. I have a Teksid block right now that I am very slowly building that will be built strictly for boost.

Anyways, just wanting your thoughts and opinions on going turbo for a regularly driven car. I have heard mixed opinions about it, but now I would like to have you guys opinions.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I'm sure most everybody here is gonna recommend turbo. The only thing is if you aren't willing to pay $6,000 for a blower, you're more than likely gonna have to pay that amount for a good turbo kit. I've never heard of On 3 performance but I think you should weigh how much you're willing to pay versus how much power/track times you want.

i have a buddy doing the on3 kit. it is out of stock till july.

that kit will ned up costing about 4K when you add in the k member, fuel system, MAF, etc.....

KB makes a fun car. i just sold a polished kit used for $3200 complete with the big tube inlet and all the fuel upgrades including injectors about 2 months ago

The On 3 Performance turbo kit is a ill-fitting kit.Misaligned angles
that the flanges were welded to the pipes at.V-band clamps are
poor quality cheapos that don't adequately squeeze on the joints
and deform as you tighten them down even before they are bottomed out and leak.There is a critial lack of clearance incertain areas including the
tie rods.If you don't install different V band clamps than what comes
with the kit you will get exhaust leaks.To run this turbo kit properly it
will have to be reworked and modified as it is only a 2K turbo kit.
You get what you pay for more often than not.The Master Power turbo is
a decent turbo allover but,it's not the best.People are seeing good results
from the Master Power turbo though.The weld quality is terrible and the kit isn't structurally sound.Cheap and popular doesn't always mean good.
I found that some shops will not install the On 3 Performance turbo kit
for you as there is a high probability for combacks and way too much effort
to get it to fit properly.The bottom line is it's a cheap kit and you can't expect too much.You get what you pay for when it comes to turbo kits.

In my opinion i'd think it's illogical to run a T-70 or equal on a street car
unless it was a track only car.

Well, I'm sure most everybody here is gonna recommend turbo. The only thing is if you aren't willing to pay $6,000 for a blower, you're more than likely gonna have to pay that amount for a good turbo kit. I've never heard of On 3 performance but I think you should weigh how much you're willing to pay versus how much power/track times you want.
The Hellion turbo kits are excellent quality and the fitment is spot on.
I think you should get a centrifugal compressor instead.Check out the ATI Procharger kits.

The couple real world write ups I have seen on the On3 kits show its not that good of a system. Its worth what it cost and their is a reason the good ones cost over $6000. The Vortech is a good kit, more so for a noob. You can upgrade it with an aftercooler down the road and then a bigger head unit and sell that one cheap.

Now you have to decide what you really want. If you want the biggest numbers on a stockish engine then a turbo is great cause you can make more hp with less stress cause the engine dont waste HP spooling the turbo. Turbos are also great for big HP numbers too. Downside is the plumbing is nuts, they are finicky depending on the weather and its important to let the car idle for a bit after running them.

Centris (like Vortech) are great and cheap and easy. They have lag like a turbo though and then there is also parasitic loss.

I prefer positive displacement blowers myself. Twin screws or Eaton style blowers make power right the frack now! They make that little motor feel like a very healthy big block. To me they are just perfect for a street appliction where power now is more important then power 2 seconds from now. They are hard on an engine though cause of parasitic drag and the fact they make boost at idle.

Shop around for used units. I just bought a KB 2.2L for my car for under $2000. I spent another $1000 for injectors, MAF, intake, fuel rail, pump and various connections needed. :nice:

The Teksid block is Fords strongest 4.6 by leaps and bounds! It can handle 2000 hp just fine. If you have a CObra forged crank then you are good for 1200hp. Just get the best rods and pistons you can get and shoot for a comp under 9:1, closer to 8.5:1 would be better.

Are you gonna use the 4v heads or GT 2v heads?

My game plan is to run the Trickflow 2v heads. I have heard nothing but awesome things about those heads, so I plan on running them. The power level I am looking, is whatever power level keeps my 50lbs injectors under 100% cycle duty.

I really apprecaite all the good info guys. A friend of mine has a Vortec YSI Renegade kit...I should so just run that kit :D haha

Yeah, those TF heads are supposed to be bad to teh bone!

If it were me then I would get the Tork tech kit and run it at 16 psi or so. That would be around the limit of the 50lb injectors and should net you over 500 rwhp. :nice:

Never heard of Tork Tech...
Its an upgraded Eaton 112 basically. It looks just like it but it has some important internal improvements to have less parasitic drag and lower IAT's :nice: I have only heard good things about it and its supposed to be a true plug and play kit with all the parts you need. I wasnt into them when I first heard about them as I prefer twin screw blowers but after Brian and Matt schooled me on them some I have come to really like the kit.
If I ever bought a 96-04 GT then I would most definatly buy that kit. I like having power right the heck now! Like what if you are at a light and got an ass hat in a Catfish next to you that nails it on green with no warning that he was running ya. In a turbo or centri car you would have to wait for boost to build and then get to illegal speeds to pass him. With the PD blower you just nail it and pass him before you are to the speed limit thus proving your dominence. :D

Its an upgraded Eaton 112 basically. It looks just like it but it has some important internal improvements to have less parasitic drag and lower IAT's :nice: I have only heard good things about it and its supposed to be a true plug and play kit with all the parts you need. I wasnt into them when I first heard about them as I prefer twin screw blowers but after Brian and Matt schooled me on them some I have come to really like the kit.
If I ever bought a 96-04 GT then I would most definatly buy that kit. I like having power right the heck now! Like what if you are at a light and got an ass hat in a Catfish next to you that nails it on green with no warning that he was running ya. In a turbo or centri car you would have to wait for boost to build and then get to illegal speeds to pass him. With the PD blower you just nail it and pass him before you are to the speed limit thus proving your dominence. :D

lmao I like your reasoning behind the blower's.:nice: