Doing the PI cam swap next week

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
A while back, I picked up a set of new PI cams from ebay for cheap. I'm planning to tear apart the 97 next week and throw them in.

The plan was actually to inspect the timing chain guides because the engine makes a little noise on cold mornings. So I wanted to make it worth my time for pulling the front cover by installing cams while I'm in there. :D Obviously, if the guides are worn, I'll replace those, but what else should I replace while I'm in there? I'm not sure about replacing the tensioners or chains yet... that's a lot of money that I don't want to spend unless I HAVE to.

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, no intake yet. I'm still looking for a good one at a price I want to pay. The intake doesn't need to come off for the cam swap, so it doesn't much matter. I can do the intake swap completely seperately.

The cams are take out cams from some brand new ford heads, romeo. I bought the cam bolts already. :nice: The biggest wait will be the guides. I want to inspect the old ones before I buy, and make sure I buy all the parts I need.

I got everything taken apart today. The cam and timing covers are off and I'm about half way through the swap.

I inspected the guides and they weren't bad at all. The tensioner guides were worn noticably, but no where near touching metal. Those will be replaced for sure. I probably won't replace the streight guides, because they look barely worn at all.

I was wondering if anything else should be replaced. The drivers side chain had a little bit of slack in it... maybe that was the one making noise in the morning? I guess my concern is that the belt might be stretched, but it 300$+ to replace the chains, because I think the gears should be replaced at the same time. So Any suggestions?