Engine Drained oil capacity much lower than expected

Hello all,
I got my 2000 GT just about a year ago and did my second oil change today. The refill capacity for it is 5 quarts, but only about 3 quarts came out when I drained it. I have never seen oil puddles beneath the car. Any ideas why this would happen? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hello all,
I got my 2000 GT just about a year ago and did my second oil change today. The refill capacity for it is 5 quarts, but only about 3 quarts came out when I drained it. I have never seen oil puddles beneath the car. Any ideas why this would happen? Thanks!
I’d keep an eye on it and check it every 500 miles or so, to get an idea of what’s going on. Do you ever see any smoke out of the tail pipes on cold start, or when driving? Or smell oil at any point when the car is running?

Refill 5 quarts, let it sit overnight on level ground, take photo of dipstick for reference.

Drive and monitor. If it drops, add oil. Keep note of how much oil you've added along the way.

Next oil change, drain and measure. Add to that number the additional oil you've added along the way.

So if you change the oil and get 5 quarts out, but added 2 along the way, then you're burning it most likely if you don’t have any signs of leaks.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user