Dual Rear Mount Battery Options

Gear grabber

May 23, 2016
Need to decide what battery's to use.
2 optima red tops,77 lb. 350.00
2 big optima yellow top,106 lb. 420.00
1 red,1 big yellow optima,92 lb. 397.00
2 advance auto parts, house brand. (platinum agm) 119 lb.
375.00 with coupon, -44.00 if I can find 2 cores.
I need ballast,120 lb. does not bother me at all.

• Sponsors (?)

In that case, it seems the best dollar for lb ratio is the advanced auto batteries...even without the cores.

you'll need battery boxes and vents with the wet style battery though.

Why not just run single battery and mount some weights in the corner

Last edited:
I have about 100 lb. of ballast now. Would like to pull some out,and start at +75 lb.
If I get to the point where I can use more initial,a second battery will be needed when it is heat soaked.
I made the mistake of going to a shorter tire (26.4x11.50 QTP) and the car went backwards. Right from
the get go,the fresh tires were worse then the worn out 27's.

As for weight on the front, alternator is the only thing the motor turns,front sway bar is gone,
glass hood,skinnies. I have a new set of M/T sportsman fronts,to replace the hokey,vw radials.
Same weight 16 lb.

I spent 2 or 3 years fighting the sane problems. I currently run 26x10.5 bias ply, smaller than yours. 1.5x 60 foots regularly. It is all in the suspension. I think adding weight is going backwards.

I am in the process of adding nitrous myself. Should be fun!

What suspension parts are you going with?
Joe

It is a street car that needs to hook on the street. Dart 427 stick car will need
ballast no matter what. (on the street) I picked up maximum motorsports
extreme duty lower control arms,mm castor camber plates,offset rack bushings,
bumpsteer kit. Rim screws. I have 0 gauge wire,going to order some good terminals
and cutoff switch today. Thinking I will weld tabs to the roll bar for grounds.

I spent 2 or 3 years fighting the sane problems. I currently run 26x10.5 bias ply, smaller than yours. 1.5x 60 foots regularly. It is all in the suspension. I think adding weight is going backwards.

I am in the process of adding nitrous myself. Should be fun!

What suspension parts are you going with?
Joe
Moving weight from the front to the rear is best, but adding weight may not be a bad thing. I depends on where it is and if it would solve a traction problem. Yes, adding weight makes the car heavier but if you can't hook you're going to be spending time repaving the street/track with your expensive rubber instead of propelling the car forward. As an example, take a look at pro stock cars. You'll most likely see weights added in strategic places.

I've though about drag racing an El Camino or Ranchero. The problem is the weight distribution. There is relatively no weight over the rear wheels and it's hard to shift enough weight to the rear. Adding some weight over the rear wheels would help a lot.

We are talking about a Mustang, not an el camino. Unless he is making crazy HP, which he still hasn't told us, the added weight isn't needes with the tires he is running.

I do agree with you on weight distribution, but adding weight is a band aid, most likely, in his situation.

Joe