ECU Tuning Help

r_bentley

Jan 23, 2020
New Jersey
Hey all,

I just picked up a '90 GT hatch 5 speed that needs an ECU but the problem I'm facing is the motor has a typhoon intake, GT40 heads, pistons, rods, Comp Custom Grind and an exhaust. I was wondering if I would be able to just get it to run off of a stock A9L or I would need to invest in something like a MegaSquirt 2.0 for it to start.

Thanks for any help!!

Rick

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends, do you have emmisions laws you need to work within? Some of your parts do not appear carb legal so I will assume no.

I offer tuning services, see my signature for details or pm me and we can talk in private.

What kind of budget do you have? That will dictate my ECU suggestion, it can be done cheaply with an efisource microsquirt kit or you can get the pimpxs from stinger with all the bells and whistles.

It all depends, do you have emmisions laws you need to work within? Some of your parts do not appear carb legal so I will assume no.

I offer tuning services, see my signature for details or pm me and we can talk in private.

What kind of budget do you have? That will dictate my ECU suggestion, it can be done cheaply with an efisource microsquirt kit or you can get the pimpxs from stinger with all the bells and whistles.

The guy who had it before me had it on a stock ecu and chip so I don't think that I'm going to have to use an aftermarket ecu

all you can do is get it together and see how it runs, the a9l is a very forgiving ecu and is mod friendly to a point. Only issue is they are getting old and may need the capacitors replaced if not done so already

all you can do is get it together and see how it runs, the a9l is a very forgiving ecu and is mod friendly to a point. Only issue is they are getting old and may need the capacitors replaced if not done so already

Okay thank you very much. It isn't too heavily modified and allegedly ran well and was fast coming from the previous owner who is no stranger too fast vehicles.

The guy who had it before me had it on a stock ecu and chip so I don't think that I'm going to have to use an aftermarket ecu

I totally get what you are saying here and I [still] have a chipped A9L in my car.

However (big comma for dramatic effect), I would not spend money on an A9L today. Even if you get hold of one that is in perfect working order for say... $300. It's in pristine and brand new condition. Your hands are still tied by the lack of capability versus the fully tunable solutions that are available now.

My setup has already received its pink slip. I'm pretty certain that I can get the cost of a Mega Squirt for the A9L, PMS, 4-bank chip, and probably the harness.

Reactions: 1 user
If you follow the surging idle checklist, you might be very pleased with how well it will run. The IAC spacer with adjustment off the truck might be the help it needs if idle is the only time it runs poorly. How radical is the cam? That is the only piece I see that might be a deal changer.
Of course, a newer system with a wide band O2 sensor would get the most out of your set up, but how much are we talking about now for parts, install and tuning?

Ok so lets say you hire me to do an install and you only want whats required to make the car run awesome. This assumes plug and play

Micro with harness to tie into factory harness $475
Spartan2 WB o2 -this is the only O2 i recommend for base systems $125
My services $350

total= 950 this is batch fire with a few extras == I have put cars into the high 7s at 25psi with this system

MS3x == Stinger Pimpxs plug and play- this is all the bells and whistles more than most can think of doing with a car. $925
Spartan2 WB o2- $125 or 250 for 2
My services $350

total= 1400 == this is my recommendation

Now of course I am using my service cost simply as an example, this assumes a street setup

The MS3x is capable of doing so much its crazy.. just pop into my current build and see

Reactions: 1 user
I totally get what you are saying here and I [still] have a chipped A9L in my car.

However (big comma for dramatic effect), I would not spend money on an A9L today. Even if you get hold of one that is in perfect working order for say... $300. It's in pristine and brand new condition. Your hands are still tied by the lack of capability versus the fully tunable solutions that are available now.

My setup has already received its pink slip. I'm pretty certain that I can get the cost of a Mega Squirt for the A9L, PMS, 4-bank chip, and probably the harness.

I do plan on getting an aftermarket ECU in the future such as a Megaqsuirt except the problem I have is my budget. I'm 15 with a pretty measly school year income. I am getting the car through a friend for $2500 that cranks and fires but will not stay running because of putting the battery terminals on backwards. All i really need for now is to be able to start and run until I can afford the mega squirt which is the only major thing the car needs other than some tire.

The pimpxs with the tuning is some of the best money I have spent. Just to have my car idle decent, not surging and not stalling was worth the investment. The alternative to this was to throw a stock cam back in. That wasn't where I wanted to be with my car.

The pimpxs with the tuning is some of the best money I have spent. Just to have my car idle decent, not surging and not stalling was worth the investment. The alternative to this was to throw a stock cam back in. That wasn't where I wanted to be with my car.

Which one did you go with? I see the standalone for $800 and $925 for different fuel system types although I am not sure what the difference between them is.