Engine Removal

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
I'm planning to remove the engine from my 65 coupe this winter for an engine bay clean up. Available space is very restricted, can't do it in the street or on my garage drive (it's too steep), can't do it in the door area of my garage as the hoist will foul the door.

Question: Is it possible to remove the engine, just the engine, with the hoist at the side of the car and the hood removed?

• Sponsors (?)

I have removed engines from the side of a car, but when I built my engine hoist I put 6 swivel casters under it so it rolls in any direction.As long as you have the car raised high enough that the front legs can move unobstructed you shouldn't have a problem.Remember too that on most hoists the engine gets closer to you the higher you lift because of the arc of the boom so make sure you have clearance between the hoist and the fender as you might have to push the hoist inwards a bit as you lift.

geordie said:
I'm planning to remove the engine from my 65 coupe this winter for an engine bay clean up. Available space is very restricted, can't do it in the street or on my garage drive (it's too steep), can't do it in the door area of my garage as the hoist will foul the door.

Question: Is it possible to remove the engine, just the engine, with the hoist at the side of the car and the hood removed?

Given your obvious logistical problems, allow me to point out that with the judiscious use of plastic, tape, and time spent properly installing them, you can degrease, repaint and detail the engine bay with the motor in it.

Ummm...why not roll it out of the garage, pull the mill, then roll it back in?

Your ability to pull it from the side is good though, the fenders are barely any higher than the radiator support after all.

I understand how to disassemble the engine, removing all the accessories, carb. etc. I've read the excellent threads that have been posted on the site on the subject of engine removal as well as information in one or two restoration books. I still need to understand the process for disconnecting my manual gearbox prior to engine removal. Any information or write up would be appreciated.

Separating the transmission (gearbox) from the engine is straightforward. BUT, if you are working in a confined situation, your opinions are indeed limited. If you have a good work area and hoist, simply pull the engine and trans out as a unit. It will complicate matters if you try to do this from the side.The trans may unbolted from the bell housing and be left in the car while the engine is removed; again a GOOD hoist is critical for several reasons.

Above all, I recommend that you have an EXPERIENCED person evaluate the situation and guide you in the removal process. From your remarks, I conclude that you are inexperienced and good guidance and help will be VERY important for your safety and the well-being of your project.

Another thing to keep in mind...if you have enough room (aka cieling height) to open the hood all the way in your garage, you have enough room to pull the motor out. I help a friend pull his 289 of his 66 coupe in the basement garage of a townhouse/rowhouse/apartment kinda deal...the cieling was approx 6.5 foot....I was clostrophobic working there, but he cranked the hoist all the way up till it touched the ceiling and the motor just cleared.

You just have to remember to strap the hoist down low and tight to the block, not enough room for a laod leveler but possible to do.

BTW, getting the engine half-way out only to find that you don't have enough room to do it would be a HUGE PITA. Removing an engine without removing the hood is a neat rick that I'd like to see someone do.

Pulling the engine in the street is not an option. The drive to my gagage slopes away from the garage. The rules of our housing association forbit working on cars in the driveway of the house. If I decide to pull the engine, it will have to be done in the garage. There isn't room the pull the engine and gearbox from the front. I can't get the hoist in or withdraw it. Asking whether the engine can be removed from the side seemed like a possible option.

geordie said:
Pulling the engine in the street is not an option. The drive to my gagage slopes away from the garage. The rules of our housing association forbit working on cars in the driveway of the house. If I decide to pull the engine, it will have to be done in the garage. There isn't room the pull the engine and gearbox from the front. I can't get the hoist in or withdraw it. Asking whether the engine can be removed from the side seemed like a possible option.

IF you don't have the room to pull the motor in the garage....you put the hoist in place, pull the car into the garage, attach the motor, crank it up, and roll the car out :):):)

Or leave the car hanging out of the garage the whole time, chock the front tires REAL well and jack up the rear so its level again....how much of a slope are we talking about needing to overcome?

Double check that rule about not working on cars in the driveway......I have lived in several condos and townhomes with CC&R's before and usually what they are trying to prevent is dead cars laying about in various states of disrepair. See if you can find someone on the board and check what the INTENT of the statute is. Chances are if you are in the driveway working on your car for most of the day saturday and then sat afternoon it's in the garage and out of site you won't have any problem. I mean come on! What if your car wouldn't start. Are they going to cite you for spending a couple of hours with the hood up trying to figure out what's wrong? No they aren't. Really who knows WHAT you're doing when you have your head in the engine compartment with the hood up. For all they know you could be just looking at your engine........

Chris Barton

I have a steep slope going up to my garage as well.I mounted a plate onto my garage floor with a hook on it so that I can winch disabled cars into my garage.I have had to pull motors and roll the vehicle outside and then winch it back inside later.Pulling it from the side isn't that big of a deal anyway.Use a hoist with wide front legs to go around the wheel so you don't have to jack the car up.You are going to have to pull the engine towards the grille to seperate it from the transmission so try to set it up to pull at an angle and before you do it do a trial run to make sure you will have enough clearance over the fenders, remembering that the car will be higher without the weight of the motor in it.If you can find a hoist with swivel wheels on the front it will help.

I could of swore I read in one of my books that you can chain the front springs down while the engine is in. I'd have to run out to the shop and check for sure.This keeps the front end from popping up after the engine weight is removed.It also hides the fact the motors out.