everyone who has a KB blower

east_sidaz40

May 14, 2005
I'm gonna try and be one of you guys :D
so the mods i got so far :
CAI,steeda U/D pulleys,FRPP 3.73, steeda shifter, magnaflow catback(on the way). diablo sportchip also on the way.so am I good enough to go for a KB with these mods?
I dont want to do any internal work with my engine. so what do you guys think, i wanna be around 10lbs :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

can't use the ud pullies. The KB chip should be good to use. Don't know what kind of CAI you have, but KB recommends against getting one that sucks in the air from the engine bay. If you are going to run 10#, then you need to have at least 93 octane fuel available. Other than typical stuff like coolant and plugs, you should be good to go. :nice:

Like stated above, just buy the CAI KB sells, with the 90mm maf. Ditch the U/D pullies, they will be worthless to you and will undoubtedly result in problems for you down the road.

KB uses it's own chip, so the diablo chip you're planning on getting will also be useless. It's SCT if I remember, so you can have a reputable tuner modify the tune, although KB won't cover any damage to their unit if it breaks if you modify their tune.

And unless you have extra cash saved for a replacement engine as well, just plan on 9psi. That is about the limit on the stock internals, and that's pushing it. Several people can attest to that .. (where are you mister WOT 5th gear at 25 mph?)

east_sidaz40 said:
I'm gonna try and be one of you guys :D
so the mods i got so far :
CAI,steeda U/D pulleys,FRPP 3.73, steeda shifter, magnaflow catback(on the way). diablo sportchip also on the way.so am I good enough to go for a KB with these mods?
I dont want to do any internal work with my engine. so what do you guys think, i wanna be around 10lbs :banana:

Like the others said, ditch the pulleys, don't get the diablo chip and get the CAI + MAF from KB.

KB will say that you void the warranty on the blower if you modify their tune. But will KB replace your engine if it goes kaboom with their tune? I doubt it. My tune from KB was way lean. So I bought a 2nd sct chip and had a SCT tuner give me a custom dyno tune and now my AF is on the money. I was going to put a 10 psi pulley on there bc I wanted 400 hp (dynoed at 399 with an AF of 13.5:1) but I picked up a bunch of HP and torque with the dyno tune so I decided against the smaller pulley.

I know that I am pushing the stock internals limit and if I would do it again I would definitely forge the rotating assemly before slapping on the blower. 400+ hp and torque might seem like alot but it isn't. You will want to go to 10 then 11 then 12 then 13 and eventually 14 psi (with good tunes ofcourse) which is impossible with the stock internals. Now I will have to pull the blower and go forged which will add a couple of days to the process. But you will always need a winter project right?

You will not regret getting a KB. You will still loose to the centris at the track but the joy of having 400+ torque down low and instant boost surpasses those few 1/4 mile losses.

stangen97 said:
Enyone with 96-98 and Kb.W/ 80k miles i doubt its a good idea for 6 psi without forged.

I have a 2004 5 speed with only 25k on it. am I good for 8psi on stock internals :shrug: with KB's tune. because i'm not anywhere NEAR a dyno or a place that can tune a car :(

Newbie143 said:
I have a 2004 5 speed with only 25k on it. am I good for 8psi on stock internals :shrug: with KB's tune. because i'm not anywhere NEAR a dyno or a place that can tune a car :(

It is not the boost level that causes damage. It is a combination of several factors. It is highly recommended to dyno your car and measure your AF ratio to make sure that you are running a safe tune.

KB's tune was VERY DANGEROUS for me. I was running around 13.5:1 above 4k rpm.

If you can not get a dyno test, buy yourself a wideband O2.

Joe

02mingreyconv said:
It is not the boost level that causes damage. It is a combination of several factors. It is highly recommended to dyno your car and measure your AF ratio to make sure that you are running a safe tune.

KB's tune was VERY DANGEROUS for me. I was running around 13.5:1 above 4k rpm.

If you can not get a dyno test, buy yourself a wideband O2.

Joe

Thats great advice "Joe". But i dont know anything about the wideband O2. I mean if I used it , and it said i was runing lean what will i do then? how will i solve that??
can you also give me a site for info about it..thank you

Newbie143 said:
Thats great advice "Joe". But i dont know anything about the wideband O2. I mean if I used it , and it said i was runing lean what will i do then? how will i solve that??
can you also give me a site for info about it..thank you

There are several wideband out there that you can use. I have the wideband commander (http://www.widebandcommander.com/) which you can get for about $400.

If it is showing a lean condition under WOT then it needs to be addressed. I would still seriously recommend that you find a dyno tuner and have them do a couple of pulls for ya. Heck, take a roadtrip and set one up. I bet that there has to be someone within 2-3 hours from you. Just ask aroun here and someone will know of one close to you.

If you are getting a lean condition with the wideband then it needs to be addressed in the tune. remember that KB's tunes are virtually a mail order tune. It is a hit or miss. All cars are different and will react differently to the tune supplied. Mine did not like it so I decided to get it dyno tuned.

KB told me that I can not trust the lean condition because it was done with a tail pipe sniffer and that their tunes are 'dead on'. Well, we went to a dyno day shootout with the local cobra club and they used a wideband O2 and the dyno operator cut my run short after 3k rpm when my AF would not drop below 13.5:1 and said that he did not want to risk blowing my engine. I told him that I had been beating the piss out of the car for the last 4 months to which he replied 'you are one lucky SOB!'

I will never ever trust another mail order tune and I went and got my wideband commander right away so that I can monitor my AF all the time.

Joe

TRUST ME , there is NO dyno anywhere nearby , the closest is about 8 hrs away. So there is no chance to Tune the car myself???
I mean if i got a KB or a turbo or any power adder, there is no way to tune the car myself!?

Newbie143 said:
TRUST ME , there is NO dyno anywhere nearby , the closest is about 8 hrs away. So there is no chance to Tune the car myself???
I mean if i got a KB or a turbo or any power adder, there is no way to tune the car myself!?

KB uses the SCT chip so I assume that they are using the SCT software as well. What you need is the base calibration file from KB, a hand held SCT tuner (Excalibrator 2 is out in a couple of days) and then you can make minor adjustments to the timing etc. There are guys who do street tunes, just ask around and someone who has experience doing this might give you some good pointers.