Factory Headers On Gt40p Heads

RedGT88

Jan 7, 2014
I just bought myself a 99 Explorer motor to rebuild and I know this rebuild is gonna hurt my wallet. So I was wondering will the factory mustang headers work with the gt40p heads?

• Sponsors (?)

Your factory headers wont work as mentioned due to the revised plug angles. Ford did make p head specific shorties, but at that point you might as well upgrade. I used to run MAC equal lengths with 90 degree plug boots with no issues. Ther are other shorties that will work, but i dont recall which off hand.

I saw a thread a year or so ago where someone made them work. But it took so much bangin and dinging, the headers looked like a twisted driveshaft by the time they were done. What about using the Explorer exhaust?

Joe

I highly recommend the FRPP headers - awesome quality and great fitment. I found a set barley used on CL for $150 from a guy who did a turbo swap.
DSC_0645.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I ran BBK shortys on my P heads. It required shorty plugs, but I don't believe I needed the 90 degree boots (still have them in a package in the garage). I can't remember the plugs, but one of the GT40 info sites has the part number. It saved me from buying the overpriced plugs from Accel. BBKs are easy to find use, but know that changing the plugs will still be a PITA. I sold the car before needing to change them out, but knew the Trick Flow socket was going to help.

I heard the only issue with non p headers is on cylinder #7. When you need to remove the plug I've heard you can take a spark plug socket cut off about 3/4" and take out the rubber and it will work for #7 plug. Has any one heard of that or used it?

I heard the only issue with non p headers is on cylinder #7. When you need to remove the plug I've heard you can take a spark plug socket cut off about 3/4" and take out the rubber and it will work for #7 plug. Has any one heard of that or used it?
At least in my case, it's not just #7, but also #6. There's just not much room there, and I kept burning wires (or having one pop off) on those plugs until i put boot protectors on it. As far as a socket goes, maybe it would work, havent tried it, I usually just take the header off. Fwiw, the drivers side and 5 and 8 are easier to get to. In the end though if I didnt already have the bbks I would have gotten the frpps, and the only reason im running the p heads is because I crashed the valves in a set of wedge heads and putting the explorer engine in was way cheaper than a rebuild