fender roll with 275??

tobalx

Sep 14, 2011
i just put on my black cobra r 17x9's with bfg 275 40 dr's. it looks like the edge of the wheel is a 1/4 inch into fender lip. i still have the stock springs with 50/50 lw and upr upper and lower control arms.stock drums with hardened axles. i did allot of research and most guys don't roll till the get into 305,315 size. will my tire get high enough to do damage? i assume if it can get hit it should be rolled but i'm trying to avoid beating my fender lip. and my wheels are 18mm offset.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont see why you'd need to roll them unless you're saying they're currently rubbing. plenty of guys fit 275s without rolling myself included. Might have to wail on the inner fender a bit but to the best of my knowledge you won't see much growth (if any) at the top end on a radial if that's what you're asking.

I have 275's on my 88 on 10th anniversary wheels that are 17x10 and I have yet to have any problems with rubbing the fenderwell lip. My problem was on the inside of the wheel well I had to massage it with a 3 pound hammer for a little while so everything had clearance. When I get the car painted (next year hopefully) I plan on getting all 4 wheel wells rolled just in case I ever want to go bigger with my tire and wheel combo

I think dudes wheels are positively offset. If he has a 9" wheel that is placing the tire sidewall 1/4" into the damage zone, then more than likely, given the right "bump" he hits he might suffer a tire bite.

It's like you've been asked already Tobalx, are they rubbing already?

I would get a heavy white sock, and fill it w/ steel shot and use that as a backer to hold against the "shiny side" wheel lip, while starting to bump the wheel lip front to back w/ a 2lb hammer. As long as you hold that sock against the area you're hitting , you'll probably be safe from kinking the outer wheel lip, and/or damaging the paint. I did it that way w/ mine, and my inner is almost flat against the outer wheel lip.

i'll explain what i got a little better. if i take a straight edge from the edge of the tire and go straight up it goes into the fender lip. if i were to cut the fender lip, i would have to cut about 3/8 off to insure clearance. my car still has fresh paint and my tires are brand new. i do take it to the strip and the roads are rough here so i would assume i take the rear to full travel. i have no issue with the inner( as it sits). i guess what i'm asking is if it barley clears or it sticks all the way out is it the same thing or does it only matter with lowering springs??? what is the line that needs to be crossed from no roll to roll?? thanx for all the replies. i am anal and it's winter so this is my winter ritual to get the car as perfect as possible for our short summer, sorry for the noob questions!!

I think dudes wheels are positively offset. If he has a 9" wheel that is placing the tire sidewall 1/4" into the damage zone, then more than likely, given the right "bump" he hits he might suffer a tire bite.

It's like you've been asked already Tobalx, are they rubbing already?

I would get a heavy white sock, and fill it w/ steel shot and use that as a backer to hold against the "shiny side" wheel lip, while starting to bump the wheel lip front to back w/ a 2lb hammer. As long as you hold that sock against the area you're hitting , you'll probably be safe from kinking the outer wheel lip, and/or damaging the paint. I did it that way w/ mine, and my inner is almost flat against the outer wheel lip.
i have no idea if they will rub, i got that feeling i have to do it. i will try and post a few pics tonight. thanx for mentioning the backer i would have never thought to do it. did you use heat at all??

i have no idea if they will rub,

Drive it around the block.

i got that feeling i have to do it. i will try and post a few pics tonight. thanx for mentioning the backer i would have never thought to do it. did you use heat at all??

Heat???? The only heat I generated was the sweat I worked up as a result of whacking the quarter panel w/ that big assed hammer.

Reactions: 1 user