Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

• Sponsors (?)

Well at least you have it out, and can get some leverage on that nut! Hit it with more PB blaster too before you go at it!
That’s exactly what I did...hit it with some more PB blaster but man, that thing is on there tight. I feel like I’m going to have to destroy it to remove it. I need to figure out the size of it so I can get another one for when I put the Cobra MC in.

If the nut is that messed up use a pair of curved jaw vice grips. Clamp them on and start wiggling back and forth the break it loose.

Are you upgrading the booster and MC with Cobra stuff?
I have the 1998 Cobra MC but no booster. I was just planning to upgrade the MC since I'm replacing the copper brake lines that a previous owner installed.

I tried the vice grips yesterday with no luck but will give it a try again today.

Here’s a couple of closer up shots of the source of so much pain and misery. It’s definitely worn down quite a bit and when you see it in comparison to the other side, it looks smaller.

Attachments

• 251A4719-6FB4-4059-8822-2591252A2E64.jpeg
    251A4719-6FB4-4059-8822-2591252A2E64.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 2D49F857-CCD9-414E-8C8F-13219A1F3750.jpeg
    2D49F857-CCD9-414E-8C8F-13219A1F3750.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 94
Happy to report I made some progress without having to resort to a fire-based solution. I guess it just helped that I had it on my work bench but I managed to hammer a 14 mm deep well socket onto the nut, then used my bigger dead blow hammer to hit the wrench while it was on the ground. Miraculously it somehow worked.
D14D675C-0076-4E7D-872C-F64B060A97C9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
I started working on removing the factory proportioning valve...but the brake lines that go into the bottom proved very difficult to remove, even with a flare nut wrench. I didn’t want to strip anything so I didn’t continue too hard on that front.

I did manage to get the plug off of the end and nothing popped out such as a spring or whatever. Is it safe to assume the factory proportioning valve was already gutted, given the lack of a spring there (and also the existence of the Wilwood proportioning valve on the other side of the engine bay)?

The o-ring from the piece that was in the factory proportioning valve seemed to be in fine shape so I managed to re-use that on the new plug.
5D129FF2-9EC0-4173-AF9E-7E09FD175BF9.jpeg

I started working on removing the factory proportioning valve...but the brake lines that go into the bottom proved very difficult to remove, even with a flare nut wrench. I didn’t want to strip anything so I didn’t continue too hard on that front.

I did manage to get the plug off of the end and nothing popped out such as a spring or whatever. Is it safe to assume the factory proportioning valve was already gutted, given the lack of a spring there (and also the existence of the Wilwood proportioning valve on the other side of the engine bay)?

The o-ring from the piece that was in the factory proportioning valve seemed to be in fine shape so I managed to re-use that on the new plug.
5D129FF2-9EC0-4173-AF9E-7E09FD175BF9.jpeg
If there’s no spring or plunger, you’re OK.

Reactions: 1 user
Last night finally got the POR-15 kit applied to the hood hinge/firewall areas and the shock tower behind the proportioning valve.
IMG-2258.jpg

Waiting for the second coat to dry and then will add the new hood hinge cups and start working on getting the new MC bench bled and installed. I also need to pick up some new nuts for the brake MC to brake booster. Hoping I can stop by Home Depot later today.

Here's the bottom of my brake booster. As far as I could tell, the brakes functioned fine so I wasn't planning on replacing it....but any suggestions on addressing this rust? Would I just do it the same way I did body/frame rust or is there a better way?
IMG-2259.jpg

Newest video is up:

View: https://youtu.be/ZL0_3BaxFuM

I would replace that booster, at one time the master cylinder leaked.
I had thought about ordering a new one...but it seems like a lot of places are out of stock. I found a couple on Steeda that don't specifically say they aren't in stock (but that was the case with the Koni shocks I ordered over a month ago and those are now on back order until mid August).

https://www.steeda.com/Centric-Mustang-Power-Brake-Booster-84-93-492-160-80068 - this one looks like a direct OEM replacement

https://www.steeda.com/Centric-Mustang-Power-Brake-Booster-79-93-492-160-80095 - this one looks smaller (not as long) and is 50ish dollars cheaper

Any idea which brake boosters will/will not work with a 1993 MC?

I had thought about ordering a new one...but it seems like a lot of places are out of stock. I found a couple on Steeda that don't specifically say they aren't in stock (but that was the case with the Koni shocks I ordered over a month ago and those are now on back order until mid August).

https://www.steeda.com/Centric-Mustang-Power-Brake-Booster-84-93-492-160-80068 - this one looks like a direct OEM replacement

https://www.steeda.com/Centric-Mustang-Power-Brake-Booster-79-93-492-160-80095 - this one looks smaller (not as long) and is 50ish dollars cheaper

Any idea which brake boosters will/will not work with a 1993 MC?

That first one, if pic is accurate to what they will send, only has two mounting posts. (and I just watched last video :nice:)

• Wow