Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

Finally started tackling the suspension today....and by tackling I mean taking 10-11 hours to install one strut, lol.

06A59037-C538-43F1-9B4B-44E07965C915.jpeg

It took me forever to get the strut to spindle bolts off. I went to True Value and Walmart to try and get some impact sockets...but had no luck at either. Eventually was able to get it done with elbow grease (hanging my 250 lbs on the damn torque wrench)...but then I realized I needed an impact for the top but. Eventually took a trip to Auto Zone and found a set. I definitely should have bought the impact sockets weeks ago (and the impact wrench months ago).

B1E171F8-F8A8-4B93-822B-D0BD6294115C.jpeg

I got everything back together after putting the new driver side strut in but for the life of me I couldn’t get the new sway bar end link in. I was so exhausted that I eventually just called it a night. Going to try again in the morning and then move on to the passenger side.
.:doh:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Managed to get the passenger side strut in yesterday along with the new sway bar end link. Pic is prior tightening everything down.
F3D3B0F3-1F27-4C2C-BF27-C322937CBD49.jpeg

I wasn’t able to get the driver side end link on, even with the car on the ground as stanglx2002 suggested. I was exhausted though, and I only made one half assed attempt. Going to see about putting the car on ramps and trying it like that.

Rear shocks and quad shocks might have to wait until the weekend since work is pretty busy this week and I have family in town. Happy to be partially done though.

End links are easiest done together. Put both sides up on jackstands on the k member. Undo both endlinks and rotate sway bar up. Install new links on the control arms first loosely, and then rotate the sway bar down onto both sides together. Assembly loosely, and then go around and tighten up once all hand assembled.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
End links are easiest done together. Put both sides up on jackstands on the k member. Undo both endlinks and rotate sway bar up. Install new links on the control arms first loosely, and then rotate the sway bar down onto both sides together. Assembly loosely, and then go around and tighten up once all hand assembled.
Thanks. Will give that a try when I can make some time for the garage.

Just finished editing and uploading my video on the strut installation. The strangest/most time consuming part was definitely the dust boot upper retainers.

View: https://youtu.be/aMqCnWWN_xw

Thanks to a few folks who answered my emissions/exhaust questions in another thread. My Flowmaster catalytic converters arrived this week. Looking forward to having my Fox running a little bit cleaner/less stinky.

ADDAF911-8902-4116-9448-5D2237CF1D6D.jpeg

Also, unseen in the photo...my low oil level sensor gasket arrived as well. Those had been out of stock at LMR for a while. Hoping between that and the new oil drain plugs, I can reduce the amount of oil leaking onto my driveway each time I take the Fox out.

Got some time in the garage today, weather was about as close to perfect as it gets for wrenching. Not too hot, not too cold.

I managed to get the driver side sway bar end link on with the car on the floor. Got both sides tightened up. Factory sway bars are not looking so hot. Will need to plan on upgrading those soon.
4EF75667-7B90-46FD-ACF7-9A8EB9723A40.jpeg DFB97C95-B6D1-4A15-90F1-6074CC219FB8.jpeg

Also got the Koni rear shocks and Gabriel quad shocks on. So much easier and less stressful than doing the front struts.

Out with the old...

1414DC5D-122B-4DD0-8731-918756A435A2.jpeg

In with the new
CAD01F86-234F-4A71-A125-BC270C86545C.jpeg

Can’t really tell if the car sits any lower but initial impressions are positive. Will talk about it more in my next video but the car definitely has less of a “floating” feel at higher speeds and feels more controlled in the bends, if that makes sense.

538F636A-7D5D-4CDC-A244-9E2AEEC09C62.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
So I made a first attempt yesterday at addressing some of the oil leaking issues...I changed the oil, replaced the filter, and replaced both of the oil pan drain plugs. The back one had an obviously cracked gasket but both drain plugs had slow leaks..so I replaced both with new drain plugs, both which have gaskets. The back one appears to be doing the job...But I am seeing a slow leak again on the front one.
571B68F5-89F9-40B3-A8B3-837102A139E9.jpeg

Also I am seeing a little bit of leaking around the filter as well.
F2D30469-7AEB-4837-86CE-2BD7FF07618A.jpeg

Any thoughts on some type of sealant or any material I could use to help reduce the drain plug leaks or how to address the filter leakage? I have seen mixed opinions on using silicon.

So I made a first attempt yesterday at addressing some of the oil leaking issues...I changed the oil, replaced the filter, and replaced both of the oil pan drain plugs. The back one had an obviously cracked gasket but both drain plugs had slow leaks..so I replaced both with new drain plugs, both which have gaskets. The back one appears to be doing the job...But I am seeing a slow leak again on the front one.
571B68F5-89F9-40B3-A8B3-837102A139E9.jpeg

Also I am seeing a little bit of leaking around the filter as well.
F2D30469-7AEB-4837-86CE-2BD7FF07618A.jpeg

Any thoughts on some type of sealant or any material I could use to help reduce the drain plug leaks or how to address the filter leakage? I have seen mixed opinions on using silicon.

I had to try a few different oil plug gaskets before I got one to hold. I believe it was the copper/rubber combo one that finally held.
As far as the filter, I’ve been changing my own oil in every car I’ve owned and have never had one leak.
Did you clean the face on the block (and make sure old gasket was not stuck on there) and smear some fresh oil on the new filter gasket before installing?
Edit:
Here’s the assortment I bought at AutoZone
60517DB8-6768-4A1B-A28D-90BF9A952075.jpeg

The oil pan plugs have a small gasket that should be replaced each time you do the oil. No idea of those are original though, so you might just want to grab some combo of new drain plugs and give them a shot. I had good luck with the type with rubber encapsulated around it. Just don't over tighten. The oil plugs are 1/2" -20 thread. Magnetic ones are good to get as well.

The filter should seal on it's own without leaks. Remove the filter, clean the area and gasket really well with brake cleaner on a rag. Coat the rubber seal in oil, and hand tighten. Once tight, I usually go 1/4 turn more with a oil filter wrench and that's it. Wipe it down, and that's all I've ever done on any vehicle I've ever changed the oil on.

Thanks guys. I will look into the washer option. As far as gaskets go, the plugs I ordered had gaskets included. Here’s what I used:
67079568-3500-4BAC-9A17-CACA0C3C624C.jpeg

The magnetic plugs sound like a good idea. Will have to look into those.

I did add oil to the new filter gasket but now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t think I cleaned the area around where the filter goes.

Another thing I noticed - not sure when this happened but I’m pretty sure it was after the oil was changed.
0D28CBA9-4277-4407-8434-4F950DDAA639.jpeg

After I changed the oil, I added GumOut fuel system treatment and a full tank of 93. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it...it was only on the passenger side.

In other news, I finished my shocks video for the YouTube channel:

View: https://youtu.be/5ZRyaTCo1G8

Glad the suspension upgrade went well.
Not sure what that one pic is showing, oil leaking by gas tank ?
Yeah...also not sure, lol. At first I thought it was some discharge from the tailpipes but it’s not directly under where the tailpipes are when the car is parked, and there’s nothing on the tailpipes themselves. Here’s another pic I took just now.
08B36F65-0385-4933-8962-672802398B4D.jpeg

The oil (assuming that’s what it is) is really thick. Also I noticed these above it on what I think is the fuel tank(?). It isn’t that wet to the touch but looks somewhat new, if that makes sense.
8F0A5CE5-ABB4-4E25-AB6B-50070DC048DD.jpeg
A720CBE6-5D70-40C4-B32C-1E6BFC232054.jpeg