Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

• Sponsors (?)

My early Christmas present to myself arrived yesterday. Ordered the SVE short throw shifter. I picked this one over the Steeda because it had better reviews and was slightly cheaper. Plus, I already have the Steeda shifter handle so I figure I can at least try both that one and the handle that came with the SVE, rather than having two Steeda shifter handles. Will probably try to get this installed over the weekend.

BDC21619-4F83-46AF-85F6-701FB7369628.jpeg 55EA0BAE-E966-44FF-B2C7-BFAF8F617263.jpeg

Will likely try to do the radiator hoses soon too, since those arrived a couple of days ago:

EBE2F7DF-B89D-47D0-A186-507758ABC5AE.jpeg

Uploaded a new video this morning, brainstorming what to do next and in what order, and asking for inputs from the Fox Mustang folks who subscribe to my channel.

View: https://youtu.be/cPsEYqla8ko

Reactions: 1 user
While you’re taking things apart at the top of the trans, you may as well just continue on with the whole removal......:shrug: And then while the exhaust is out, you can have those cats welded in, and then while that’s getting done....... well, you know how the can of worms happens!!

Watched your video this morning. I like where you’re going with the car..... can’t wait to see how you like those 4:10’s.

• Haha
Ok we'll talk about the shifter first, when replacing things we all know there are other things related to the part in question, in this case there is a rubber seal that bolts to the floor and the shifter sticks up through a hole, this gets brittle and torn, I would plan on replacing it because when you install an aftermarket shifter you need to trim the hole to fit tight around the shifter tower, it needs to be pliable (soft/streachy) so it seals around the tower to keep out road dust and hot air.
Now about those cats, you need to keep them in the box, you don't want them to get loose and be running about the neighborhood terrorizing the other critters and you'll know where they are at when you need a 'cat scan'.
But when you're ready to install them take the car to a reputable muffler shop because they need to be welded in place, you will not be able to hand someone the pipes and cats off the car, I guarantee they will not fit.
Water pump, this is subjective, If you do nothing, not replace the seeping hose and just kind of forget about it it will likely last a long, long time, if you go to all the trouble to replace the hoses and not the pump, well you can guess what will happen, the water pump will start seeping out that weep hole you read about in about a week, you won't even have to drive it, it will just happen as if by magic so if you replace the hoses I would do the pump too. JMO.
Gaskets, another subjective subject so let go to the old say'n ' if it ain't broke don't fix it ' but I would do the valve covers, this will require removing the upper plenum so get a gasket for that at the minimum, unless it has been removed before, this will also give you a chance to inspect things like the pvc grommet, screen and hose(you may have replaced these items before) and look for signs of seepage at the back of the intake along the wall at the back of the engine.
REMEMBER, things can snowball into ' well since I'm here I'll just fix this too'.
First time clutch job can be done by one person but I would suggest bribing your friend to help, he seems to have a sense of humor.

Uploaded another video of...not installing anything really, lol. Patiently waiting on parts.

View: https://youtu.be/KBlcSTi0XvE

I went ahead and ordered the water pump and ARP stud kit. My tentative plan is to replace the hoses, replace the water pump, install 180 degree thermostat I picked up a while back, and while I have the coolant drained, remove the upper intake manifold and replace the valve cover gaskets. I hadn’t thought about inspecting things like the pcv grommet, etc. like Karthief mentioned. Those things haven’t been replaced yet to my knowledge.

Shifter bushing, gaskets, and lower shift boot hardware arrived today. Planning on giving the SVE shifter a try tomorrow.

Happy New Years y’all. Hope you’re staying safe and healthy.

Attachments

• 285B0AA6-2197-4063-A8B4-97D8B2EBF875.jpeg
    285B0AA6-2197-4063-A8B4-97D8B2EBF875.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 49
  • C5B456BC-BA9F-4B37-993B-C04297BCB2C6.jpeg
    C5B456BC-BA9F-4B37-993B-C04297BCB2C6.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: 2 users
Took out the console yesterday with the intention of installing the SVE short throw shifter. It was a pain in the ass (will explain in more detail when I finish my next video) but I managed to get it out...and now since I have it out, I’m trying to figure out which wires/cables I can pull out since I removed the subs and amps from the old system.
42540DB2-A10A-40C6-AD8D-0110E31A3FFF.jpeg
91533FBE-9F21-48B3-B0A7-CA2921CE08DE.jpeg

Another amp was under the passenger seat, along with some vape cartridge thingy and some eye drops, I assume from the previous owner.
D5ED37A1-DF10-4AB7-A980-3FB9699861EF.jpeg

A little side by side comparison with the factory, Steeda, and SVE shifter handles. I will probably try all three with the new shifter and see which I prefer.
2C650108-D78D-47C9-BE91-98AD8009D81D.jpeg

New SVE shifter and the grimy factory shifter
CDAC20CF-2946-4ECD-9CDC-A0B4B4820A0C.jpeg

I’m going to try to finish the stereo stuff, clean up the interior a bit, and install the shifter and then move to the cooling system since a couple of boxes of parts arrived yesterday. I need to go through everything but I think I’m just waiting on the studs and bolts kit for the water pump.

Last edited:
My afternoon/early evening spot, lol
ECF2BAD5-7D55-4C18-9CD7-5E29528CBF17.jpeg

Some more shots of the old school audio setup that came with the car...
226493EF-0B6D-4650-9E9C-044956AF3A22.jpeg
86AAF155-3972-434B-AC6B-3263B584003C.jpeg

Removing the old stereo stuff has me thinking about doing something like a double din head unit, maybe something with Apple CarPlay (if that exists and is affordable). Don’t want to go too crazy but I do like the idea of having something a bit newer and fancier in the Fox.

The double dins are nice. I've been thinking about one since my phone no longer has an aux jack for the current stereo.

The double dins are nice. I've been thinking about one since my phone no longer has an aux jack for the current stereo.

You can get a good double din with car play for 300$, with options as cheap as 250$. I’ve had my eye on the Alpine iLX-W650 for a while.

I was watching a video from Gearhead704 on YouTube and it got me really thinking more about the double din option. I think the one he installed was a JVC. I’ve been looking online and it seems like there are some solid options from Best Buy. Might need to go look at a few in person soon.

The double DIN's without the CD player fit quite well in the lower spot. It's the older ones that are big boxes with internal 6-disk changers that have issues clearing the trans hump without removing the bracket and trimming the studs down. Even something like the sony AX would fit quite well.

If you do want the big box units, you can get one of those new relocation kits that moves the radio up. Only downside is it's rather permanent

1609777469594.png

As much as I like my OEM radio. I'm getting the itch for something moderns like in my DD that I can link to my phone