Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I kind of get the sense that this is one of those situations where they really don’t want to do it, so they are giving me a really high quote to make me go away, but if I agree and have them do it, they make some decent money.
You can usually get away with the same shims with FMS gears. The hardest part is getting the correct preload on the crush sleeve.

Why are you changing the clutch cable?
A good quadrant swap, ok. An firewall adjuster? Sure, you need that with the non adjustable quadrant and firewall stability, but change the cable? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Just a personal observation.

That's a bit high. It doesn't take 9 hours to do.
Yeah. I called and sent messages to a few shops in Richmond too but haven’t heard anything back yet. You know any shops in Fredericksburg that might do gears?

Why are you changing the clutch cable?
A good quadrant swap, ok. An firewall adjuster? Sure, you need that with the non adjustable quadrant and firewall stability, but change the cable? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Just a personal observation.
I am interested in a lighter clutch, partially because I have some cartilage damage in my left knee.

A clutch cable can drag in the casing causing the clutch to be hard to press. I've experienced this on several cars. When they wear ( yes clutch cables wear ) they can start to get increasingly tight and even snap.

Reactions: 1 users
Took my Fox to a car audio shop with the intention of getting a quote - the guy wasn’t super busy that day and I ended up having him install this in about an hour:
447541A8-D887-4370-885A-EBDF4D457514.jpeg

Also found out that there is no speaker in the passenger side door, but the rest of the speakers are working fine. Nice to have music/Apple Car play in the Fox.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Forgot to post this when I uploaded it, but just a bit more on the new head unit in a video I finished last week:

View: https://youtu.be/d9Awe2CL9d4

I had a shop weld in the Flowmaster high flow cats this morning. I’ve only driven it home from the shop but it seems like the exhaust is a LITTLE bit quieter and I didn’t notice as strong of a gas smell after driving the car.
A86D13DB-345B-4428-B741-D79E6781677E.jpeg

I am happy that it’s a little bit quieter but of course I still have the drone of the Flowmaster mufflers. At some point I’m probably going to try a different muffler design but I’m not in a rush at the moment.

They were also supposed to weld the factory horn bracket back in but they said a different type of welding was required that they couldn’t do (something about the metal on the bracket being too thin I think). So I will need to find a different shop that can help with that.

The lot where the shop was had a few cool cars out front:
6B0C604E-C1F9-471B-AA8F-A3D892E03CF2.jpeg
ECD9A341-E922-45CD-B296-5C3D508F5853.jpeg
982280F0-4FE4-4B1A-B194-B1DBDC2D1F0D.jpeg
90485EBD-6AD8-4B76-B8E3-6FF58BF47571.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I need both the mustangs windows tinted and the Sante Fe. Where are you going to get it done ? I don't know anywhere down here except a spot on route 1.

Reactions: 1 user
I need both the mustangs windows tinted and the Sante Fe. Where are you going to get it done ? I don't know anywhere down here except a spot on route 1.
Just dropped the car off with Action Window Tinting in Fredericksburg, close to the Costco. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I had the tint done on my 2014 GT at a place in Maryland called Cutting Edge. I’m happy with that as I’ve had no issues since getting the tint done probably six plus years ago. That was back when I lived in DC though.

The guy who did the stereo install on the Fox said the place across from his shop does good work on tint too. I think it’s called East Coast Window Tint. That place is also in Fredericksburg but a bit north off of Warrenton Road.

Reactions: 1 user