Engine First start after 8 months, smoking in the engine bay.

opihinalu

Feb 10, 2021
Florida
I started my foxbody today for the first time in 8 months after I replaced the radiator, added an electric fan, thermostat, hoses, water pump, AC clutch, brake proportioning valve, air intake, transmission cooler, and serpentine belt.

It started smoking around the area near the battery and the starter relay. It wasn’t black smoke and it smelled kinda like a wood fire to be honest. Any ideas of what this could be? Is this dangerous?

• Sponsors (?)

Any smoke could be dangerous. There are several wires over there on that side. Some leaves or something could also be down on the manifold.

coolant? Grease? Oil? Trans fluid? You changed a lot of parts. Any thing related to them could have just burned off in the initial stages.

First time i started my new engine setup, it smoked from everywhere for a good 5 mins.

Reactions: 1 users
I've started a car that blew rodent nests out the tail pipe. Burning mouse crap is a harsh smell you'd never forget. The only thing worse is rat crap.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
coolant? Grease? Oil? Trans fluid? You changed a lot of parts. Any thing related to them could have just burned off in the initial stages.

First time i started my new engine setup, it smoked from everywhere for a good 5 mins.
I doubt any of those but im not sure. I have some time to work on it tomorrow and if I dont see anything visibly burnt then I will run it again and see what happens.

Do I get a kit for that or something?
It would be a gauge that attach to the service port on the fuel rail. Service port is about the same thing as a tire valve. You could also press the needle in on the service port to see if fuel shoots out. If it does you have pressure.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to inspect the wires in the area where the smoke came from, there are wires in that area that if burnt can keep it from starting.
If you start with the starting fluid that will tell you where to look next.
Oh, just pushing in on the schrader valve tells you nothing about the condition of the fuel delivery system.
one step at a time.

You need to inspect the wires in the area where the smoke came from, there are wires in that area that if burnt can keep it from starting.
If you start with the starting fluid that will tell you where to look next.
Oh, just pushing in on the schrader valve tells you nothing about the condition of the fuel delivery system.
one step at a time.
Would they prevent it from cranking or from actually starting? I’m almost certain it’s a fuel issue because it is cranking fine and its sputtering trying to start. I will pick up a fuel pressure tester today and I will test it and try the starter fluid tomorrow or tonight. I never have enough time to get anything done efficiently:(