Engine First start after 8 months, smoking in the engine bay.

The hold down needs to come out and flip over. It acts as a clamp on the lip of the distributor to hold it into place so you don't lose timing. Once that is flipped over, the distributor should drop into place as it should be. If it doesn't, you may need to blip the starter relay to seat it onto the oil pump driveshaft if it's not engaging it as it sits now. You'll probably want to double check your timing once you've done that before you secure your distributor.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

:doh:
That's kinda funny to us that have r&r a distributor a lot but to a new guy it can be a little embarrassing,
Had a guy put lug nuts on backwards and couldn't understand why we were laughing so hard.
good catch though :nice:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
:doh:
That's kinda funny to us that have r&r a distributor a lot but to a new guy it can be a little embarrassing,
Had a guy put lug nuts on backwards and couldn't understand why we were laughing so hard.
good catch though :nice:

I think we've all been there at one point or another and I'm just as guilty as the next guy. I ended up putting the rod caps on backward on the second engine I ever had apart and wondered why I couldn't turn it by hand as I could the first one. I wanted to bang my head on a wall once I figured out what went wrong.... :doh:
I have a good friend who never lets me live it down, either. :fuss:

Reactions: 1 user
The hold down needs to come out and flip over. It acts as a clamp on the lip of the distributor to hold it into place so you don't lose timing. Once that is flipped over, the distributor should drop into place as it should be. If it doesn't, you may need to blip the starter relay to seat it onto the oil pump driveshaft if it's not engaging it as it sits now. You'll probably want to double check your timing once you've done that before you secure your distributor.
You know what after I posted that I thought to myself that it was probably upside down, but I decided to own up to it! Thank you

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users