First start up using megasquirt.. 1992 5.0.

were you using extended prediction? if so it happens, fill the area below 25* with 125%

also closed loop idles kickin in while driving. and coasting.. causing the car to act stupid, and now for some reason when im coasting up to a stop light or stop sign it stalls out.. i didnt change anything but the WUE thats it lol

Attachments

• 2019-05-06_19.21.41.msl-ride to town.msl
    5.9 MB · Views: 89
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok so now you have to figure out.... why?
Does the TPS need a recalibration causing it to read below 2% (activation threshold) or does the load parameter need to be bumped slightly?

well i just swapped out my tps with another one.. and recalibrated it.. took the car for a ride and it was doing the same thing.. thing is it does it sometimes then it doesnt.. it seems like its pulling to much timing and causing it to go to low.

Attachments

• 2019-05-06_20.13.15.msl-drive around town.msl
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
That's normal, it's in the programming. It Is there to stop the idle valve from plummeting to closed

ah i thought maybe the program was seeing a high idle and removing timing to compensate... my bad. but still in the one datalog you see my idle valve fall to 2.3 % or lower.. also in the datalog its showing my rpms falling right down to 300rpm before it catches itself.. so somethings going wrong somewhere

A few lean spikes going on in my datalog.. that could mean a few things.. i might have a exhaust leak somewhere. or somethings going on with the fuel system. cause im seeing alot of lean spikes.. like 17afr and 19 afr.. which isnt good.

Last edited:
Ok so now you have to figure out.... why?
Does the TPS need a recalibration causing it to read below 2% (activation threshold) or does the load parameter need to be bumped slightly?

well since the tps is not going past 2.0% and causing the closed loop bump. im thinking maybe the load thing your talkin about might need to be bumped up to catch a falling idle.. cause when i clutch in. my idle drops to like 530rpm sometimes even lower.. so that would be my idle advance settings i think,, so maybe i should bump the 10 up to say 12 or 13 to see if that helps.. other then that i have no idea on what the actual cause of this is. unless some wacky mechanical thing is going on which i cant see happening.

throttle position sensor never went above 0.2% when closed.. and closed loop is at 2.0% , but i switched out Tps's with one that had more wiggle room. so now my tps is on 0.0 sometimes -0.2 which i can live with. and as for the lean spots i pulled the plugs and they all are showing normal colors... No white -no black. nice brown color, except for a little black from when it was super rich. but im going over everything once again today, and i made some changes to my intial values table.. basically added 5 points to the first box then interpolated each line. so hopefully that helps catch the idle when i lift. cause to me it seems like the valve isnt open enough to have the idle settle above the target and fall into place. so i did make some adjustments last night but havnt tried them yet. Also the lean spots arnt at steady throttle or nothin.. More like shifting gears.. Also its not consistent..

Not to jump into this thread but I just wanted to say that Steve has been helping me with my tune on a 1990 lx and wow he has got my car running like a top. I was a first time user of mega squirt and it was a bit of a learning curve but I have worked through my issues, some my own doing for sure. Injectors not working correctly and a msd box that was screwing with my ignition up past 6300 rpm. I just want to give a shout out to Steve for helping me out. He has been awesome to work with.

Reactions: 1 users
Im gonna lower the closed loop max decel load down from 25% to 20% cause when im coasting my CL seems to always kick it in.. So ill lower the max decel load down abit to see if that help it not kick in while coasting.. I guess with the new cam the settings from the other cam dont agree with this one lol

thats the wrong direction to take that value.

well heres a short datalog to show what its doing when i clutch in at stop signs.. car almost stalls out when i clutch in a coast. so i have to catch it by popin the clutch and a lite buck at soft throttle at low speed....but other then that these are literally the only problems im having now.. everything else the cars good.. drives nice. but that dam rpm drop on clutch in ,

Attachments

• 2019-05-08_15.28.34.msl-start up and idle tuning.msl
    4.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 2019-05-08_15.48.09.msq-blucifer may 8th.msq
    121.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
well heres a short datalog to show what its doing when i clutch in at stop signs.. car almost stalls out when i clutch in a coast. so i have to catch it by popin the clutch

well heres why my closed loop is kicking in,... Closed loop was set on manual.. and not CL Pid... so when at low revs it was kickin in.. but that still dont explain the rpm drop while coasting to a stop sign

Thats only for ignition control, I set it up like that to combat the issues you say you are having above.

Now reviewing the datalog to only things i would change are the activation settings based on load, you are going into CL idle when the car is in long decel like when coasting down a hill in gear. notice how the load is very low when this happens [less than 30KPA] your idle range is between 55-65KPA so my suggestion is to revert back to the settings i had in the tune, and change only the load values in both the CL idle and idle advanced settings to 35-38KPA this should stop the false activations.

Last edited:
another thing the activation settings in closed loop idle is 40%load.. wouldnt lowering the number activate it faster? well i m changing the idle advance setting Activate above load from 40% to 38% and the closed loop max decel load % from 25% to 38% .. which to me lowering the number would activate it faster but i could be wrong...

Last edited:
Idle advance is not what's activating, CL idle is activating on deceleration and the valve is going to almost full closed, so when you press in the clutch it starves the engine for air.

They are 2 different things that both work together to control the idle.