First start up using megasquirt.. 1992 5.0.

And heres another kicker... Just found out i got my wideband grounded in the wrong spot... I have it grounded to the ground that comes off the harness next to the ecu behind the kick panel... Now to realize that the ecu ground is actually next to the starter solenoid just behind the battery. Looks like ill be doin alittle bit of re wiring when i get near my car... Go figure i couldnt get tunerstudio and my widebamd to match up... Was off by .2-.3 and i couldnt get it any closer . uggghh

• Sponsors (?)

I talked to steve for about an hour. he got my car idling great and LEARN'T me quite a few things. showed me the basics of how things are layed out in the program. gonna be having him show me how to read data logs soon

Reactions: 1 users
I talked to steve for about an hour. he got my car idling great and LEARN'T me quite a few things. showed me the basics of how things are layed out in the program. gonna be having him show me how to read data logs soon

Datalogs seem to be the easy part.. Basically look for somethin out of wack. Ive been lookin at peoples videos showing datalogs on nice running cars. Basically seeing what a good baseline looks like forna datalog and comparing it to what i have... Haha. Match the squiggly lines up and it should be good... I havnt read so much since highschool..

I sure hope so.. Steves been awesome puttin up with my persistence haha. It just seems like alot of input to soak in.. I spent all winter reading everything i could about megasquirt and tuning that i could find before i bought the ms... And soon as i got the ms installed POOOOF. I basically forgot everything ive been reading and studying over the winter. The basics stayed with me. Like some fuel timing and other factors. But the majority of the stuff hes been helping me with. I didnt read anything that actually covered those subjects. So basically hes helpin me with the voodoo that was left out of all the info that i was reading... Thank god for the man named A91 lmfao. Or else i would be stuck with a untuned undriveable car... Ill be definitely takin a few classes of his when i go back to work.. Gonna put in some extra hours just for classes lmfao

I was there. I felt like damn did I absorb any of that? Then things started to click. There’s still lots of stuff I want to learn. I’ll guarantee Steve will get you going. Make sure your comparing tunes so you can see what was changed and it’ll help you understand what changes did what. It’ll be fun eventually trust me.

Reactions: 1 user
I was there. I felt like damn did I absorb any of that? Then things started to click. There’s still lots of stuff I want to learn. I’ll guarantee Steve will get you going. Make sure your comparing tunes so you can see what was changed and it’ll help you understand what changes did what. It’ll be fun eventually trust me.

oh ive kept every tune since ive started... every tune and matching datalog.. and ive been goin over every single thing thats happend even got me a notebook that ive been writing everything down in so i can keep track of just about every possible move ive made or hes made... its crazy how hard it is tryin to keep track of everything... which im glad its all done on computer and that your able to datalog and save everything, or else id be lost haha

oh ive kept every tune since ive started... every tune and matching datalog.. and ive been goin over every single thing thats happend even got me a notebook that ive been writing everything down in so i can keep track of just about every possible move ive made or hes made... its crazy how hard it is tryin to keep track of everything... which im glad its all done on computer and that your able to datalog and save everything, or else id be lost haha
once the tunes start to get into higher REV numbers [thats my numbering system to keep things organized] I will detail the changes made to the tune each time in the NOTES tab for the tune file.

well after doing some tinkering.. i got a steady afr ".1to -1on target".... when i first changed the idle advance adaptive settings it went back to having a oscilating idle but i added some Ve and got the afr targets to match up and it steadied at like 925-940. To me it sounded alot better.. steady idle with alittle bit of swing, i would like the idle down abit lower... but if this is what the car wants then its what it wants... i have a 4 datalogs from today with the changes i made written down in my book.. the first datalog it was choppy and hunting for a stable idle.. by the 4th datalog it was gettin better and pretty stable... could be alot better but i feel that is probably gonna come when its on the road and driving.. ... datalog is the 4th and final one for today. the car was up in temp 209* im gonna let the car cool right down and probably do a cold start tonight when its back to ambient temp and take a datalog to see how it reacts to these changes.. but the hot start was beautiful.. started nice idled nice and settled awesome. best hot start ever in my books

Attachments

• 2019-03-23_14.41.11.msl-march23 3rd start ve table adj.msl
    3.3 MB · Views: 76
Ok assuming there are no vacuum leaks, there are 2 ways to lower the idle if the TB is fully closed and iac valve is in full closed position.
#1 is to lower the idle timing, this will have an immediate effect on the idle speed.
#2 is to lean the engine out, this will reduce power and lower the idle speed.

I will look at the tune file and make a suggestion.

Ok assuming there are no vacuum leaks, there are 2 ways to lower the idle if the TB is fully closed and iac valve is in full closed position.
#1 is to lower the idle timing, this will have an immediate effect on the idle speed.
#2 is to lean the engine out, this will reduce power and lower the idle speed.

I will look at the tune file and make a suggestion.

i just reviewed the current tune.... and i made a boo boo... forgot to add the minus to the timing in advance adaptive idle.. so it was advancing it 1 degree instead of minus... LOL had it 2.0/\1.0 1.0,-2.0 so that should help out the higher idle lol

Last edited:
ok, now have you verified the timing on this engine using the trigger wizard?

Yup i verified it a few times to make sure. I locked it at 16 cause it was easier for me to see. Its right on 16 when locked. Shows half between 16 and 18 when use table.. Now that i fixed that -1.0 i had to go back and lean out my ve by 1- 2 points. Fixed it. Got a 830-890 rpm idle now. I just took a datalog of it

its decent now but i kno im gonna have to do alittle more adjustments to make it perfect... its really gettin better by the sound of it.. even the startups are gettin nicer... But i wont be making anymore mistakes like that. Cause i had it all nicely adjusted.. And that 1.0 where it should of been -1.0 screwed all the adjustments up. Made it super fat cause it droped the revs alot. Ill be sure to do a triple threat check on any adjustments from now on..

Attachments

• 2019-03-23_17.14.55.msl-march23 fixed boo boo.msl
    4.7 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
well that wasnt to bad... but i noticed in my datalog my tps is still moving alittle,,, i should of left my throttle screw alone.. cause ever since i moved it alittle bit the tps seems to be gettin some noise or something.. its a brand new tps too.. i have another brand new tps plus a few others sitting around. i might swap it out and recal my throttle. but atleast im gettin a steady afr at idle and hitting my target lol but heres my current tune and latest datalog

Attachments

• 2019-03-25_14.39.26.msl-march25th timing changes adju VEtable.msl
    5.9 MB · Views: 60
  • 2019-03-25_15.17.43.msq-march25th latest blucifer tune.msq
    118.3 KB · Views: 72
check the engine for vacuum leaks, there must be something letting air in somewhere... can you post some pictures of the engine? how are the vacuum lines routed?

if theres a vacuum leak its one that i cant find cause ive pumped so much smoke into that motor it should have showed a vac leak.... thats how i found out the egr vac solenoid was crap... thats the only place that smoke came out.. and i mean i smoked the hell outta it.. i even sprayed 2 bottles of carb cleaner over the whole motor.. i even did the water spray on every nook and cranny on that engine .. if i have a vac leak its gotta be my intake gasket or something because i cannot find it... im gonna unhook my cold air intake and cover the throttle body with my hand to see if i can kill the car also i may just block off all the egr vac lines and even my heater controls and see if that helps.. i guess todays gonna be a day of tryin to find a leak.. good thing im building my motor soon im juts waiting on my camshaft to get here so i can start on that... but god dammit if its a leak i cant find it anywhere

Attachments

• 54526025_2311171799157023_769694414736982016_n.jpg
    54526025_2311171799157023_769694414736982016_n.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 55575809_436452146896926_6554194727342702592_n.jpg
    55575809_436452146896926_6554194727342702592_n.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 55613122_856471714692348_2523769546733518848_n.jpg
    55613122_856471714692348_2523769546733518848_n.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 75
Last edited: