First start up using megasquirt.. 1992 5.0.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, the normal on temp for EFI engines is 195-205*... seems high I know but the stock thermostat does not even open until 192*

ah :poo: see i thought my thermostat started to open at 180 and was fully open at around 188-190ish... i guess ill tweak the fans right off and let it get above 200.... god dam you learn something new everyday eh lol after my lunch ill get this dam car warmed up....

Lol. Normal running temp on my car is 200-210. Fans come on at 205. I control everything with the MS though

ah well i always had my fans set for 180.. soon as my temp gauge on my pillar hit 180-183 the fans kicked on.. i never usually like running my fans any hotter incase i get stuck in traffic.. plus in the summer those 35 plus days are hot.. and im usually at the beach so i always have my fans kick in early.. they barely turn on while im driving cause the car barely hovers around 180.. also in the datalog i noticed ms went offline... is that cause i locked my calibrations?

Datalogs showing tps moving. Thats new never did that before. Ughh im starting to regret this tuning myself thing lmfao. Im not gonna lie its alot more complicated then i thought it was gonna be. Even with all the stuff ive been reading. Still very vague on the info and hard to compute to the old brain lol

the TPS may be bad, if it is old or questionable its best to replace them.
your idle looks very stable on my end, if you need help with the tuning process like i said i do classes.

tps is literally brand new cause my other one was bad.. its a stupid BBK tps sensor.. but im watching your videos now to refresh myself and incase i missed some info about this................ soo my idle valve is showing full closed because i havent touched and changed closed loop to open loop.. so now im wondering if i should get the car to full warm on open loop and sweep the valve or not.. i just dont want my car going crazy with a high idle. that just freaks me out.

Last edited:
so from watching your videos about 15 times.... my idle adaptive advance timing is what you were talking about.... since my idle is sitting at around 890 which is 65-75rpms above the closed loop idle target.. im supose to change the Deg down to maybe one and possibly change the rpm delta down to 75 or 50rpms since my idle does not fall below target of 825rpm. or something to that effect.. Im regretting not goin to a tuner and just taking the easy way out of this... woulda been alot cheaper lol... by the way I unplugged my iac valve during a warmup period.. car was hot... didnt do anything to effect the idle.. so i think my iac is crap so tomorrow im gonna do a idle valve test and see if its even working... cause my first time i changed my idle duty warm up to 16.5 and the car wouldnt even start so i think i gotta find the steps its actually using.... i think 20 isnt even closed thats why its showing its fully closed and cant lower the idle anymore... thats my theroy and im testing it tomorrow

Last edited:
Hou just need to learn the basics, the idle is very close as it is and you should move on to other areas until you build up some more confidence. Turn autotune on and take the car out for a quick spin to rough the fuel in, your freaking yourself out. PM me and we can talk over the phone I'll get ya sorted out in about 15mins.

Reactions: 1 user
Hou just need to learn the basics, the idle is very close as it is and you should move on to other areas until you build up some more confidence. Turn autotune on and take the car out for a quick spin to rough the fuel in, your freaking yourself out. PM me and we can talk over the phone I'll get ya sorted out in about 15mins.

cars completely blocked off from snow in the shop... it wont be coming out until the snow melts which is really soon.... i live in canada.. until then its stuck in the shop.. and ive been reading this manual and im hoping this is the right one for how and what to do when tuning. http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.3.pdf ... unless theres another one or proper one for my ecu.. but this is the one ive been goin back to and using

Last edited:
cars completely blocked off from snow in the shop... it wont be coming out until the snow melts which is really soon.... i live in canada.. until then its stuck in the shop.. and ive been reading this manual and im hoping this is the right one for how and what to do when tuning. http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.3.pdf ... unless theres another one or proper one for my ecu.. but this is the one ive been goin back to and using
yes that is an applicable tuning manual for what you are doing. The engine is just an air pump, you adjust the fuel to get a proper burn ratio based on the wideband reading. in the VE table larger numbers = more fuel. ect... I already setup your ignition table so you should not need to touch it at all. now all you have to do is finish getting the idle settings dialed in, again this will take all of 15mins on the phone... after that its setting the startup and warmup fuel trims. it seems arduous at first but once you understand what and why it will all make sense.

Reactions: 1 users
cars completely blocked off from snow in the shop... it wont be coming out until the snow melts which is really soon.... i live in canada.. until then its stuck in the shop..
yes that is an applicable tuning manual for what you are doing. The engine is just an air pump, you adjust the fuel to get a proper burn ratio based on the wideband reading. in the VE table larger numbers = more fuel. ect... I already setup your ignition table so you should not need to touch it at all. now all you have to do is finish getting the idle settings dialed in, again this will take all of 15mins on the phone... after that its setting the startup and warmup fuel trims. it seems arduous at first but once you understand what and why it will all make sense.

alright man well i cant call right this moment... cause im not at the house or near my car.. i put tuning on hold for today to cool my head off about it so i can regather my thoughts LMFAO... gettin grey hairs doing this. so if i dont give ya a call abit later today it will have to be tomorrow if you got time.
Just gimme a idea of when you are free and i can make time to give ya a call so i can get this figured out so i can calm my nerves about it

alright man well i cant call right this moment... cause im not at the house or near my car.. i put tuning on hold for today to cool my head off about it so i can regather my thoughts LMFAO... gettin grey hairs doing this. so if i dont give ya a call abit later today it will have to be tomorrow if you got time.
Just gimme a idea of when you are free and i can make time to give ya a call so i can get this figured out so i can calm my nerves about it

Steve will get you sorted out! I understand the feeling you're having but spend some time talking to Steve and before you know it a light bulb will turn on in your head and things will start to make sense. Once that happens you'll have confidence and never look back!

Steve will get you sorted out! I understand the feeling you're having but spend some time talking to Steve and before you know it a light bulb will turn on in your head and things will start to make sense. Once that happens you'll have confidence and never look back!

I sure hope so.. Steves been awesome puttin up with my persistence haha. It just seems like alot of input to soak in.. I spent all winter reading everything i could about megasquirt and tuning that i could find before i bought the ms... And soon as i got the ms installed POOOOF. I basically forgot everything ive been reading and studying over the winter. The basics stayed with me. Like some fuel timing and other factors. But the majority of the stuff hes been helping me with. I didnt read anything that actually covered those subjects. So basically hes helpin me with the voodoo that was left out of all the info that i was reading... Thank god for the man named A91 lmfao. Or else i would be stuck with a untuned undriveable car... Ill be definitely takin a few classes of his when i go back to work.. Gonna put in some extra hours just for classes lmfao