flowmaster american thunder major cabin drone!

• Sponsors (?)

official_style said:
the hids are getting installed on friday, and i will snap some pix of the flows from the back tomorrow. if i rev my car up now it scares people. LOVES IT

Who's doing the hid install? I'm curious because I have a set on order and I've been expecting them to be pretty much a drop-in no-brainer (been wrong about that for other parts in the past).

did you order the saleen kit? on my other cars, i just used a normal HID kit, which was just ballasts, bulbs and wiring harness. these are very easy to put in, i can do it in 30 mins. however, i didnt want to lose high beams. the saleen kit is much more complicated. the whole nose of the car has to be removed, including the front bumper. i am not doing this myself, i am going to have my car audio/video place do it while i am having the auto dimming mirror installed too.

Yep, I ordered the Saleen kit...I thought having to disassemble the entire car to change something simple like headlights was a GM thing? :shrug:

I wonder how many more tools I'll have by the time I'm done (or whether I'll be paying my car audio store a visit).

Thanks for the info.

blk05gtstang said:
Hey official_style any chance you could post a couple shots of your car from the back with the flowmaster axle back? I'm considering it for my black coupe and want to see it first. Thanks!

Here is a rear shot of mine from this morning...

View attachment 513002

ValveCovers010.jpg

Attachments

• ValveCovers010.jpg
    ValveCovers010.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 115
:( i think one of my mufflers might have something loose inside of it! when the exhaust is cold, after the car has been sleeping for a while, there is a rattle if i kinda get on it, b4 the exhaust system is hot. what kind of warranty does flowmaster give?

official style, does it sound like someone put firecrackers in a pop can? my car has done that once, and it is pretty common on f150s. i think that there is a build-up of gas, and it happens when you let off the throttle right?

bigcat said:
i have the flowmaster axle back, and there is not a bad drone at all. its just a little louder than the stock setup. i am very happy with the flowmaster kit. but, i dont have the x pipe, so maybe that is where the drone is originating from.

I agree... I just installed the Flowmaster American Thunder axle-backs (stock x-pipe and stock cats), and I think it sounds great! I was a little worried that they might be too loud for my long everyday work commute, but they are fine -- sometimes just a little louder/deeper than stock, and hardly any drone at all. To me, it now sounds exactly like a modern muscle car should - not obnoxiously loud, but noticeably stronger and lower toned.

I was going to get the Bassani's, but for the cheap price of the Flowmasters ($280 vs $450 for the Bassanis), I thought I would take a chance. I know the Bassani's are great too, but for me, I'm totally happy with the American Thunder setup.

I also had no problem installing them using the stock muffler hangers. Just make sure you have a 15mm deep socket (for the clamps), and a 13mm socket, *and* a 13mm box-end wrench for the somewhat hidden hanger bolts. I backed the rear up on some Rhino ramps, slid underneath, and the install took me about an hour total. Looks great, and everything lined right up with no fuss.

I just installed the Flowmaster American Thunder axel backs on my 05 gt. I have had them on for 2 days. Very easy to install, also used the stock hangers. Problem is ,they're too loud for me!! I'm taking them off tomorrow. If anyone is interested in buying them, e-mail me and I'll make you a good deal, Rod