FMS HD vs. KC vs. Cobra vs. Ram clutch

90LX5spd

Aug 13, 2005
PA
My 5.0 is getting a fresh motor soon and I figure I might as well replace the clutch while I'm in there. The car has normal bolt-ons (stock long-block) and is mainly used for cruising. I run her hard on occasion, but don't brutalize it. The issue is my wife likes to drive it sometimes and would like a stock or slightly softer pedal feel. From doing searches, I'm guessing the FMS HD is out because its stiff. The KC is supposed to have all the holding power of the HD with a 10% reduction in pedal stiffness (but how stiff is it compared to the stock clutch?). Now from what I gather, the standard Cobra clutch has slightly more grip than a stock clutch, yet has a softer pedal feel. Does anybody know where I can get one of these? Finally, I had a Ram stock replacement clutch in my old Nova and it felt fine stiffness-wise. Which of the 3 would work best for my (and my wife's) needs? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

D&D in Michigan should have cobra clutches.

I agree with you about the HD (I have one and it doesnt bother me or the G/F, but I think it is a, avoidable pain in traffic).

The cobra or KC seems like a nice choice. The guys at D&D can be very helpful when you call.

Good luck.

I put a King Cobra clutch in during the bearing retainer replacement in my '88 Coupe. Couldn't be happier..... Wife can't/won't drive a stick so, I guess I can't help there. Great holding power, relatively easy on the left leg..... even in heavy traffic.

My ladyfriend hates driving my car because of the clutch. I find it WAY easier to live with than the HD that was in my prior '89 notch, but it can get your left leg a little bit achey if you get stuck in stop-and-go traffic. Honestly, I have yet to drive a stock-clutched Mustang at all, so I can't really give a fair comparison for the KC versus OEM clutch pedal feel, but I do know it's a heckuva lot stiffer than, say, the crapbox '87 CRX Si that I was driving a couple of years ago...

Maybe sort of like the difference between fresh-baked wheat rolls (OEM) and tough-as-leather wheat rolls that've been run through a microwave (KC)...? :D

I just bought a new KC pressure plate and McLeod disc from D&D. The KC pedal pressure is much lighter then my old Spec stg 2, and I would say it's very close to the stock clutch feel.