Full Bolton 93 Notch vs lightly modded 97 Cobra video!

Speeds8erM-1

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2000
Pensacola Florida
Friend with the NPI 97 GT with the 100 shot and stuff got a 97 Cobra last weekend that is pretty much stock other than a K&N Filter & Flowmaster Catback, we put the offroad h pipe off of his GT on it.

Him and my friend with the bolton 93 Notch have had a little rivaly going on, so it was time to run. We already know what will happen from a stop as the notch has ran 8.48 with the front sway bar off and on Nittos with before his new maf and electric fan. So we wanted to see if the notch can hold em off on the highway. Mods are in the video!

http://media.putfile.com/97-Cobra-vs-93-Notch

This is their old race with the notch with less mods and the Cobra owners old 97 GT. Shows the difference between a GT and a Cobra pretty well! http://media.putfile.com/matt-vs-tim-n20

• Sponsors (?)

What gear was the 97 in when they started the race? I would hope 2nd, but I couldnt tell. My 98 had similar mods (even though the 3.27s are stock) and I had no trouble beating foxbodies. Not taking anything away from the coupe by any means, Im just asking.

Pretty cool, I ran a 96-98 cobra one time, I had all my mods in the sig except the 3.90's I actually ran a 3.27 gear at the time,yea i know that was as lame as the 3.08's..... the race from a 30 punch was pretty even up until 90-100 where I shut down for a yellow light and he kept going;)
I saw him a couple weeks later at a store, talked with him, turned out he had 4.10's and longtubes.....

DeVus1 said:
What gear was the 97 in when they started the race? I would hope 2nd, but I couldnt tell. My 98 had similar mods (even though the 3.27s are stock) and I had no trouble beating foxbodies. Not taking anything away from the coupe by any means, Im just asking.

He started in second, about 3400 RPM's, it really doesnt move from there. A good running fox body that is done right shouldnt have a problem with a race like this. The notch did lose but I think he could canning the "average" fox body bolton car out there.

25thmustang said:
Actually on roll races the 3.08s help more so than a 3.73 would. Gears are one thing that in roll races dont help.

Yea for a stocker head and cam setup, gears on a low reving short geared 5.0 are fine if you are running 40-60 lol. Amazing how people still think track only items carry over to the highway.

matt93notch said:
yup it was a good race.. now im curious to see what would happen with him shifting into 4th.

Tim im gonna steal your car!

We would have been going very fast lol, third ends at like 118 or something insane. It tops out in fourth too. Where is Tim's punkass anyway, the passive ricer hasnt even commented on this thread!

It's just a matter of physics, fellas. Numerically higher gears don't hurt you, but they don't help either. The average power won't change, you'll just have more force in a gear for less time, then move to less force in the next gear until the lower numerically rear-geared car shifts into its next gear. That is, it won't hurt until you have to shift into overdrive which puts you out of your powerband.

The advantage in gearing comes from reducing that period after the launch where you are out of your powerband...

thoughts?

Chris

You guys may be right but i feel differntly, I was messing around with a s/c suburban the other day on the highway, and I shifted down to 4th at around 90mph, and the rpms went up and the car felt like it lost some power, like it flew out of the torque range, and i felt like my body went foward instead of thrown back. I hit 5th at around 105 and in a matter of seconds i was at 120mph without even realising it and could have gone alot more. All I know is with my 3.08's my car didnt pull for crap, especially in 5th, with the 3.73's my car pulls hard in every gear at every rpm.

FastDriver said:
It's just a matter of physics, fellas. Numerically higher gears don't hurt you, but they don't help either. The average power won't change, you'll just have more force in a gear for less time, then move to less force in the next gear until the lower numerically rear-geared car shifts into its next gear. That is, it won't hurt until you have to shift into overdrive which puts you out of your powerband.

The advantage in gearing comes from reducing that period after the launch where you are out of your powerband...

thoughts?

Chris

Nope, first of all if he started from 40 with 3.73's, he would have had to shift sooner to third and would have gotten passed sooner. All them shifts dont help during a race between cars with half ass similar HP. There is an optimal gear for different setups, 3.73's wouldnt have been it here. Hell MOST guys with the same mods with 3.73's dont even run the same track times, or they will run the same track times and then get passed on the highway. My friend with his bolton 87 GT with 3.08's used to pull stock heads and cam 5.0's that had gears all the time.

He had a notch with a carb 302 swap, 3.73's and such, it felt fast but only ran low 9's in the 1/8 at 78 MPH or so. He had an 87 GT with boltons and 3.08's after that, it felt so much slower but ran 8.4's@82 MPH, go figure. Both cars had E7 heads and stock cams, the carb notch had an Edelbrock intake, the GT had a stocker.

mob said:
You guys may be right but i feel differntly, I was messing around with a s/c suburban the other day on the highway, and I shifted down to 4th at around 90mph, and the rpms went up and the car felt like it lost some power, like it flew out of the torque range, and i felt like my body went foward instead of thrown back. I hit 5th at around 105 and in a matter of seconds i was at 120mph without even realising it and could have gone alot more. All I know is with my 3.08's my car didnt pull for crap, especially in 5th, with the 3.73's my car pulls hard in every gear at every rpm.

You dont have a stock cam either. It's gonna be soggy down low and want to rev higher, so it will respond to gears differently.

If the notch in the video had 3.73's, he wouldnt have been able to start from second at 40 at a good RPM and the race speed would have had to change otherwise he would lose and if the race changed thats a whole different bag of worms to dicuss.