Got a Performer RPM intake

zenboy99

Founding Member
May 12, 2002
Madison, WI
I just got a Performer RPM intake off of E-bay. I'll have it on the car tomorrow and hopefully I'll have before and after dyno results on Saturday comparing the Performer vs. RPM on my car. I'm excited to see what the numbers will be. My local dyno shop is having a special, $45 for 3 pulls on a wideband, darn good price.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow yeah im really interested to see, the results. I should be getting mine dynoed in september. hopefully. Also make sure you set up the vaacum lines before if your going to try to swap them out fast, because the vaacum line set up on the performer wont work with the RPM. Just a quick heads up, cant wait to see the results.

Sweet man, good chit! Did you get the 75mm TB too or just a before/after RPM test? Im very curious to see your gains, we have close combo's. If all goes well for you, maybe i'll do a track heat upper. I forgot, but do you have longtubes or shortys?

I'm running shorty headers. I'm hoping to get a set of long tubes next spring. I won't go with anything less then ceramic so I have some saving up to do.

WhiteDevil, I didn't know the vacum routing was different. Is there anything specifically different about it? I just bought some extra vacuum tubing at the parts store, shouldn't be too hard to re-tube everything?

Well nothing is too different, just the lengths needed of each vaacum line. And on the performer where the two smaller vaacum lines run under the plenum, those same two are at the neck near the TB adaptor. Hence the need for different lengths of vaacum line. I think im making it a bigger deal than it is :rolleyes: . To get to the point, you just gotta cut new vaacum lines.

WhiteDevil said:
Well nothing is too different, just the lengths needed of each vaacum line. And on the performer where the two smaller vaacum lines run under the plenum, those same two are at the neck near the TB adaptor. Hence the need for different lengths of vaacum line. I think im making it a bigger deal than it is :rolleyes: . To get to the point, you just gotta cut new vaacum lines.

Cool, thanks for the info, I should be able to do that. The intake is sitting on my front door step at home, so I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet.

zenboy99 said:
I'm running shorty headers. I'm hoping to get a set of long tubes next spring. I won't go with anything less then ceramic so I have some saving up to do.

yeah ceramics are pricey. I was lucky enough to find an absolute steal on mine used. I got BBK ceramic 1 5/8" LT's with an offroad H for $300 shipped a while back! :banana: Cant wait for your dyno #'s, good luck. Try an extra degree or 2 of timing.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but Ed designed that FTI cam specifically for your combo and he had the regular Performer in mind. This is why its a "custom" to your current combo. The cam is designed to work with a specific powerband and range of RPM and produce the greatest torque curve there.

If you throw that curve way up with a RPM, won't you push the powerband of the motor AWAY from the powerband of the cam?

I dont' know if this is exactly how it works, but its what I've been thinking as I might want to change and/or port my Cobra Intake, but would want to check with Ed first.

Woulnd't want to swap intakes and slow down :(

94DreamGT said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here...but Ed designed that FTI cam specifically for your combo and he had the regular Performer in mind. This is why its a "custom" to your current combo. The cam is designed to work with a specific powerband and range of RPM and produce the greatest torque curve there.

If you throw that curve way up with a RPM, won't you push the powerband of the motor AWAY from the powerband of the cam?

I dont' know if this is exactly how it works, but its what I've been thinking as I might want to change and/or port my Cobra Intake, but would want to check with Ed first.

Woulnd't want to swap intakes and slow down :(

Ed can and will recommend changes in the combo if it can go faster. I asked Ed what to change on my car to go faster, he said change my TFS street intake and tiny 65mm TB for an RPM intake and a 75mm TB (port matched inlet) He told me "its the best package out there". I assume he meant for a car like mine. Depending how Zen picks up, I might have to take Ed's advice or i'll just buy a track heat upper and 75mm TB. If it doesnt pick up a decent amount, i'll just do the 75mm TB as thats more important right now for me IMO.

Ask Ed what he thinks, but I would say have T moss port the lower and then open up that inlet to 75mm for the better TB. Ask Ed first though. If not, my guess is he'd say the performer and a 75mm.

I'm interested to see the results. I can see Ed recommending an RPM setup for a Fox body LX, but I think he might suggest staying with a Performer for a heavier SN95 setup. I've thought about an RPM intake for my setup in the past, but now that I have it tuned right I don't think I would benefit any -- my power band is high enough as it is, I don't think my shortblock would let me shift high enough to make use of the RPM. :shrug:

So I can't wait to see how this does on zen's combo, I'm very curious now! Zen, are you going to hit the dyno afterwards? I'd like to see what it does to the shape of the torque curve...

Dave

Ed told me I would gain some ET and mph, but would loose the low-end snap of the car. I've never seen any solid data comparing the two intakes, so I figured I'd pick one up and try it myself.

The intake will go on tonight, but I just found out that the local dyno is postponing its $45 special for another 2 weeks, so I might wait until then to dyno. When I get the dyno results I'll post them on a new thread.

go-stang5.0 said:
HEy zenboy wheres this dyno place? I wanna dyno too after my performer to performer rpm II swap. Locally i cant get more than two runs for under 90 bux.

Hey there, how's it going. The place I dyno at is in Madison, wich is probably a long drive for you.
www.dynotuned.com

Also, the Cponygo group is meeting at Byron on Sunday. Should be at least 20 Mustangs there.