GT40p Heads on a stock 66 289

DJCarbine

May 4, 2005
I got basically everything I need except for the pushrods. Do I need stock length 289 pushrods, or something else. I did a search and couldn't find anything on the subject.

Also, will the stock manifolds bolt up to the heads? Headers will come later, but I want to get the cam broken in without waking up my whole neighborhood

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think you will be able to use the stock manifolds. You can use the Tri-Y headers for the P heads or you might be able to use the stock manifolds from an explorer that had the P heads, but I don't know what the flange that connects to the exhaust pipe is like. You might have to modify your exhaust pipes to get it to work.

When I swapped those heads onto my 302 I had to switch to a 5.0 push rod. The rods I had were to short for the bolt down pedestal rockers.

Do you know the length of the pushrods you had to use? Checking a few sites the stock 289 pushrod is 6.804-6.886 inches long, and the 5.0L (85-96) is 6.272.

A bit confusing to say the least

How can the 5.0 pushrods work on a flat tappet cam? The lifters are WAY shorter. That is part of the reason you cant run a converntional roller cam in a 289 with regular roller lifters. Like I said, I used Comp hardened stock 289 length pushrods with adjustable rockers and it works great.