Has this been done with a supercharger before?

EXTRPR50

Founding Member
Oct 7, 1998
Has anyone ever tried doing a Holley / Weiand 144 roots charger on an EFI Fox? It seems like you could make an elbow, tap some injector bosses, and rig up a pipe for the mass air. Am I missing something? Those things new are like 1500.00 right? Comments-Discus.
Or do they have a kit for this?

• Sponsors (?)

Make a plate, or buy a nitrous plate and inject your fuel after the blower. Make a box style upper and slap a throttle body on it. Either that or use the carb style throttle bodies with a sweet Hilborn style scoop and run aftermarket EFI like Megasquirt

Its been done before. The fuel "should" be injected before the roots style supercharger. The fuel acts as a cooling agent helping the blower stay cool. The older roots style is designed differantly then say an eaton or Whipple and realy benefits from the cooling effect the fuel has.

Your question is basically a theoretical "what if" and not a technical one (althrough there will inhearantly be techincal aspects realting to this topic) so I'm moving this thread to the Talk section.

I addition, the Weiand kit for the SBF is here:
http://www.holley.com/types/Small Block Ford - 174 Series.asp

I'd imagine that you could run an intake with injector bosses machined into it but it would be hell of allot easier to run a direct injection CFI system. It would bolt up in place of the carb and meter the air as it went through.

Holley Commander 950 Multi-Port:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY-534-183&N=700+115&autoview=sku

The other problem you'd have with running a regular mass air meter and throttle body is trying to tune (control) the IAC to deal with a roots blower of this type. They're constructed differently (of course) than an Eaton for an FI car and I'm not sure how those items would act in regard to one another.

They also have kits with injectors fogging INTO the throttle body if what Shamus says, is required:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY-950-21S&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Its been done before. The fuel "should" be injected before the roots style supercharger. The fuel acts as a cooling agent helping the blower stay cool. The older roots style is designed differantly then say an eaton or Whipple and realy benefits from the cooling effect the fuel has.

Correct. You want either all or at least part of the fuel injected above a roots blower to help cool it. Carbed setups, and most fuel injected setups inject fuel above the blower. Some serious fuel injected roots setups have one set of injectors above the blower, and one set below the blower. The top set will supply part of the fuel, and help cool the blower, and the bottom set at the ports will supply the rest of the fuel.
You wouldn't save any money in the long run making a setup like this work on a fuel injected fox. It's definitely not worth the time and fabrication either. Plus, you'd have a blower sticking through your hood. You can make more power for cheaper buying a bolt on centrifugal kit that will fit under the stock hood.