Paint and Body Headlight cleanup

gearhead77

Mar 13, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
The thread I found this on was old, so I thought I’d make a new one. Did my headlights today using only Bar Keepers Friend, Mr. Clean sponge and some elbow grease. Not perfect, but way better and cheaper than any kit out there. I did use Rejex as a protectant after I was done, but I already had that. Point is it can be done cheap if you’re on a budget and don’t want repros.

I don’t know why the right headlight is crooked. Drives me nuts, but a project for another time.

Attachments

• A39C5A4A-BD3C-44B2-A0D9-3A9281BC4406.jpeg
    A39C5A4A-BD3C-44B2-A0D9-3A9281BC4406.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 881B0CE9-2644-4FE0-96CA-5D45BAC4D885.jpeg
    881B0CE9-2644-4FE0-96CA-5D45BAC4D885.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 221
  • B09C1E7F-A604-4A84-8B1A-34626BF654CF.jpeg
    B09C1E7F-A604-4A84-8B1A-34626BF654CF.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 218
  • D9922636-B496-4E40-B5A1-331CF7C6CECF.jpeg
    D9922636-B496-4E40-B5A1-331CF7C6CECF.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

In think your right headlamp is out of adjustment. You can use a 5mm socket and bring that back in. There are a couple adjustment screws that stick out of the back of the lamp. Right, left / up, down. The lamps really cleaned up well.

Reactions: 1 user
After the damp Magic Sponge, Kit Scratch Out or Meguires Mirror Glaze (both for plastics and even helmet visor screens) will take the micro scratches out. That’s the step to get them or your gauge faces crystal clear again.
The hard work is scrubbing long enough to get all the yellowed plastic off, and your certainly did that.

It looks so far out though that I bet one of the springs is loose or broken.

Cheap fix though, LMR has replacement springs.
It looks so far out though that I bet one of the springs is loose or broken.

Cheap fix though, LMR has replacement springs.

LMR has lots of things to take my money. And if they don’t, CJ pony parts, American muscle or Summit will!

After the damp Magic Sponge, Kit Scratch Out or Meguires Mirror Glaze (both for plastics and even helmet visor screens) will take the micro scratches out. That’s the step to get them or your gauge faces crystal clear again.
The hard work is scrubbing long enough to get all the yellowed plastic off, and your certainly did that.

When I first saw the car, I was just going to get repro’s. But then I found another thread with Bar Keepers Friend mentioned and I know that stuff works. It’s only original once and while I’m rather certain the corner lights aren’t original, I’m taking an “ original but upgrade when I can” mindset with this car. The lights coming out this good saved a good deal of money and really brightened the cars look.( no pun intended )

These came out better than expected. I posted another pic here in sunlight. ( I have the lens to the fog light and it still works.). I think they look even better now that the Rejex cured on them.

Attachments

• 83FC0766-B68B-4511-AC34-76EC620957FB.jpeg
    83FC0766-B68B-4511-AC34-76EC620957FB.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 206
Does Rejex have a UV blocker in it? (Never heard of it.) That’s what keeps the plastic from yellowing when you have developed carpal tunnel and tennis elbow but lights look great.
Meguires has a final spray UV etc. coating I have only seen online, and it is available either in a kit or by the can. Polishing my Mustang lights was not a good option as they were holding water. The new ones (LMR?)? look better made, but the Van and my girl’s new style Beetle look almost new, for now.
PS, The only spring on the 91 lights is from the weather or birds now it is out of winter storage.

Does Rejex have a UV blocker in it? (Never heard of it.) That’s what keeps the plastic from yellowing when you have developed carpal tunnel and tennis elbow but lights look great.
Meguires has a final spray UV etc. coating I have only seen online, and it is available either in a kit or by the can. Polishing my Mustang lights was not a good option as they were holding water. The new ones (LMR?)? look better made, but the Van and my girl’s new style Beetle look almost new, for now.
PS, The only spring on the 91 lights is from the weather or birds now it is out of winter storage.

Here's a link:
http://rejex.com/rejex-high-gloss-finish-that-protects/

Yes, it does have a UV blocker. It's good stuff, goes on and off really easy. Their penetrant/lube Corrosion X works really well, better than PB Blaster and that's high praise ( it's also more money too, but I had one can last me years). I use Rejex mainly on my wheels and the chrome exhaust tips of my VW to reduce the direct injection soot and dirt build up. But it's great on paint. I knew I needed to seal them and I know this stuff works.

Last edited:
As he mentions model glue, it reminds me. I use the CA glue, meant for gluing RC tires to their wheels, on everything plastic. I guess it basically Krazy Glue. That stuff holds strong with everything I’ve used it on. Can’t say it would work on the lights, but at the point where they are leaking, I guess it’s worth a shot.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I was finally able to give the car a bath and both headlights and turn signals immediately got water inside them. Is it worth it to get new seals or should I just get new lights?
Every other year when I buy all new lights :mad: I put silicone all the way around the headlight where the clear lens meets the rear housing. It lasts as long as the headlights. Tired of buying lights and actuators.